ATSC 3.0 very slow to tune

I mentioned in my main thread, i also found this old thread.

Tuneing a ATSC 3.0 station takes about 18 secs. 1.0 stations 2 sec.

HDHR app tunes the 3.0 channels in 3 secs.
(Updated 8-1-23)

Apple TV 4K 2022
app beta 10.2.1721
server: 2023.10.01.0552
HDHR HDFX-4K firmware: 20230719

Everything is hardwired Cat 6a STP or Cat8 S/FTP.
Tuner shareing off (tested it on, tune time is same, about 18secs.)

On Nvidia Shield, it tunes in 13 secs.
beta 8.12.1947

I submitted diags from the Apple TV app and Shield app.

Feel like this has to be a Channels issues, since, they tune fast in the HDHR app, on all devices.

1 Like

I have same issue, same hardware.

2 Likes

Have noticed this too. A question I have is how long should it also be taking ATSC 1.0 channels to tune/load as well as the normal TV Anywhere channels as well?

2 Likes

As i mentioned, 1.0 channels take just a couple secs to tune. Has always been that way for me.

TVE channels, will also tune within a couple secs, if they are already authenticated. Something to do with cookies?
It can take up to several seconds to re-authorize the channel, if it has been a while since it has been tuned. You can see the server doing this via the logs.

Let me try it again and I will respond back. I feel like while the 1.0 and TVE channels load quicker than the 3.0 channels, they still were slightly on the slow side. I will report back soon.

If the picture looks slightly choppy, would it make a difference if I used one of those mini PCs as my server as oppsed to my Shield?

Same hardware setup. 4 seconds for 3.0, 3 seconds for 1.0

If you have tuner sharing on, then the HDHR stream first goes through the server, then to the client, which adds latency and more time. If your serve ris underpowered, or under load, can cause issues.
From what i have read and been told by some users, the Shield been very unreliable for many as a server. Various issues. It is also not a recommended/ideal setup to have server and client on same device.

No turner sharing, then the HDHR connects direct to the client device, and the server is irrelevant.

What client app version?

1 Like

I just checked. Tuner sharing is off, at least according to the settings in the Channels app on the shield in the bedroom. Granted that one is NOT the server. Does the tuner sharing have to be deactivated from the server itself? Or just turn it of from the settings on each device around the house?

Either way. It can be set on the server level under Clients, which will override client app settings. Or can be set on each client, if not set in the server.

Sounds like you may other issues....

So if a particular device already has tuner sharing off, there is nothing to override? Or is there another setting on the server side that is seperate that overrides what each device's settings say? Or does the server settings literally change that setting remotely so that if I were to go back into the settings on the client device, that setting will show it has been changed remotely?

1 Like

You can search the forms for answer to those questions and learn how Server Side Settings work(they override all client settings.)...or start your own thread please....

That is off track to the issue being discussed here.

I have been complaining about long tuning times with ATSC3 forever but a remedy just hasn't surfaced unfortunately. For fun I just cycled through my 3 ATSC3 stations using the HDHR app, then cycled through the same 3 stations using Channels DVR and here are my results:

Device: onn 4K Streaming Box on the LAN
Server version: 2023.08.15.0451
Android TV version: v2023.08.12.1947

HDHR App tuning times in seconds: 5, 4, 5, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4, 5, 5
Channels DVR tuning times in seconds: 11, 30, 19, 10, 34, 20, 9, 28, 19, 9

As you can see, something doesn't add up.

Same issue..following

2 Likes

It seems like tuning times fluctuate with Channels because at times they have been better. Maybe something has changed in the BETAs, but they're definitely taking a long time to tune into ATSC 3.0 channels now.

Hardware: Nvidia Shield running the latest beta /w wired connection.

1 Like

Still no change for me. Takes forever to tune. The audio is also so low, even at max volume on my sound system, can barely here anything.

1 Like

@speedingcheetah Yes same here!

Noticed the same here.

1 Like

Any updates on looking into this devs?

Tuning ATSC 3.0 stations still taking a excessively long time.

1 Like

I had to disable the 3.0 channels. Forever tuning times, low volume, random jerkiness. Not worth it! Hopefully it improves over time :confused: