Atsc 3 dvr announcement

It works on iOS and Apple TV with my tuners but I can't get it to do it on my browser. It's a little confusing to navigate, but if you click on a tab above the guide labeled "Channels" a pop up will appear and I selectected "Freecast Home" and it shows me my channels from my tuner. But, like I said, that option for "Freecast Home" doesn't show up for me if I do it on my browser.

So on the FireTV when I click "Channels" all I get is:

• FreeCast
  • Value Channels
  • Local Now

There is no option for Freecast Home

Just a guess here, but it seems like not every app for it has that option. I know for sure I can't see it on my browser (Chrome or Edge) but it does show up on my iPhone. Now that I think about it, I am not 100% sure I can see them on the Apple TV. I will check a little later.

Even though I can watch those channels from my tuner live, I don't get any option to record any content on the channels from my tuner, but I do get the option to record from the section titled Value Channels like you mentioned.

If you figure out how to connect hdhr let me know.

First impressions. I used the app for 30minutes. Therefore I am a expert in all things FreeView!!!!!!!

*I installed freeview on Android S10
*TV guide and user interface seems good. Nice, clean, easy navigation. It sorts channels by catagory.
*TV guide filled with crap re-run ststions (pluto type stations)
*Integration with Netflix, Hulu, Disney. Succesfully opened proper app and started playing video. Similar to *.strmlinks, plex discovery. I only tested a few videos and worked on all of them
*Promises integration with HDHR, Sling, Fubo. If it successfully does this it would create 1 unified TV guide like CDVR
*Media Pay. Handle your streaming subscriptions in 1 place. Pause, cancel, renew. I have not tested. I use something similar privacy.com.
*Their TV Guide lets me watch a tv ststion while browsing the guide (A often requested CDVR feature, hint. . . hint)
*Station tuning was fast/reasonable

The bad.
*How do I connect hdhr
*is there a dvr? I didnt see a record button. Maybe I am blind.
*Lack of import local library
*Lack of virtual channels
*I dont understand why they dont have virtual channels
*None of these stationd are playing anything I want to watch. I am turning back on CDVR. It has virtual channels with no commercials and only plays stuff I like.
***Now if only I can figure out how to DVR my virtual channels. Lol

Overall opinion. If this intigrates HDHR and a service like Sling/Fubo. It becomes a real contender. It is essentially CDVR without local server. It would be perfect to setup for grandma or a friend.

If CDVR where the type to worry about competitors. They should be potentially worried. However I know they arent stressed. They have virtual channels. No one who has gotten used to virtual channels is leaving CDVR. So far the only thing Freeview does better is the TV Guide interface. Thats only relevant if you watch live TV. I sure as heck dont watch TV live. That is what DVR is for.

Edit:
*DVR. You can dvr local-now and Allue catogy of stations. If tuning to one of those stations within catagory. A record button appears. Cannot DVR Freeview or Freeview Home

I agree with you on several points you mentioned. I really like the idea of integrating with my recorded TV and my App subscriptions. I experience with that has been hit or miss. Sometimes the video I select will start playing right away and sometimes it just takes me to the App interface itself.

I have played around with it for about 32 minutes so I am even more expert at it that you! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not sure how I feel about the cloud DVR aspect. There are some shows I'd like to keep and I don't like the limitation on how long you can keep recordings.

I find the guide to be too squished to navigate easily. I can't get it to open to full screen, but maybe I am not doing something right there.

They haven't officially released some aspects of it from what I understand, so I will keep my eyes on this one.

1 Like

You are right. I check my ShieldTV and there is an option for Freecast Home.

Yes, I don't think they have all the apps unified yet.

I did check out my Apple TV and the popup does include Freecast Home as well. Still no way I can find to record from that page though.

Browsers cannot play from HDHR directly so that feature will only be possible in their apps.

3 Likes

I still cant get my HDHR to work with FreeView. I went through tech support. This was their response. She said she would escalate thebissue after she failed to get it working.

TBH. I have no clue why I am toying with software. I already know im not going to use it. I guess just curiosity

1 Like

Ha ha. You sound like me. I don't think I will end up using it either, but I am very curious about how it works, so I signed up and played around with it a bit.

You're making some assumptions. It might not be the same exact thing rebranded. It could be running unique firmware so that only their specific branded models work with their software.

It is possible that it will not work with HDHR. However their app has the HDHR logo.

That screenshot wad just one snippet of conversation. I made clear the exact model of HDHR I am using. I have recieved a email from FreeView about the issue. In email correspondence the tech support person said they will look into issue. At no point have they told me HDHR is not supported. Then again they have not said it is supported. . .

Had anyone gotten hdhr to work with FreeView?

I was under the impression that they were going to have their own box with a HDHomeRun inside.

Yup. There website does not mention HDHR. It mentions Streamcast Home Box. Which lools like rebranded HDHR. Inside there app they use HDHR logo. . .

Im just waiting to hear back.

1 Like

My guess is the HOME capability (HDHR tuner) is tied to your service subscription with them.
i.e. you purchased their HOME sub for the one time charge.

I would think you also need a SD guide subscription to use it as a DVR.

I am curious how they enable you to get local OTA channels in the FREE and PLUS plans if all they give you is an antenna (or three of them). FreeCast | Your Streaming Hub

Free TV Antennas & More Offers | Watch Local News & Sports | FreeCast

1 Like

Downloaded FreeCast testing on iPad and got the HDHomeRun QUATRO tuner to work as FreeCast Home channels.

1 Like

Do you have a SD guide subscription?

No

1 Like

Same here, I downloaded the app on my iPhone and AppleTV, it automatically detected my HDHR 4K Flex. Watching local NBC via the app right now .

1 Like