Att fiber?

Can anyone explain this response. Att dug up may street 5 years ago and sold fiber door to door. Now it's not available. Could it be nobody took the offer and they stopped selling it. I don't live in a well off neighborhood. Peter is the chat agent.

Peter: I have checked the availability with other addresses of the Street, however, it can see similar speeds of 50 - 75 Mbps with coaxial copper cable connection, based on what you have mentioned, it is possible that AT&T Fiber internet is available near the area, however the network used with the service is unavailable at the location based on what the system is showing with the availability

You might try again. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find someone who knows what they're doing. However, unless it's really cheap, you might not see much of a difference unless you do some really bandwidth intensive stuff. Apart from what little we watch off the antenna, we are completely internet based, for all the media we consume. I have no limit set on how many streams can be recorded at a time. My wife and I also work from home. We chew through over 2 TB of data per month but my peak bandwidth consumption is typically between 80 and 100 Mbps and those peaks are rare. Wee never have problems with buffering or anything like that. Everybody's usage habits are different of course, but my hunch is that most people who pay for those fat pipes, don't begin to actually use it. But there's always bragging rights. My two cents.

2 Likes

It could be that your address is not in the system as being ready. The rep is just looking at the screen and doesnt go any deeper into the plant to see what is technically available. If you know of a neighbor that has it call them back and ask that they forward your request on to someone that can check on availability at your address and give them the address of your neighbor.

Definitely worth the effort though. Cable internet SUCKS on the upload bandwidth. good battle to fight to see if you can get this going :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had same situation. It took me about 6 calls over 2 months to finally get it worked out. They didn't have my address on file as supporting fiber. I was the last, middle house on a cul-de-sac. I knew I had it because neighbors on either side of me had 1 gig fiber. If you talk to your neighbors, it would help to know if any of them have fiber installed.

They finally contacted my county, received confirmation of my address, and updated their system. Without me constantly calling back and following up, it never would have gotten accomplished. Once I was finally in their system, then they could set up a tech to come out and drop a new line from the street box. It's just so stupid that they can't just send a tech first and they sort it out.

I had another issue recently where a neighbor had to get a new fiber line run. The tech damaged my connector and knocked me off. I confronted him as he was leaving and he refused to look at and said no way he damaged my connection and that he won't look at it unless he has a ticket. I lost internet for 2 days from that ass hole. ATT made up for it by giving me $60 off.

Other than their crappy service policy, I've had great experience. And for me it's only $70 a month so that's cheaper than others charge for less speed.

2 Likes

another point, even if you opt for their lower tier fiber of 300 or 500, it will still be better than their DSL or cable, because your latency and ping to your ISP is next to zero when traveling the speed of light (1 ms for me).

1 Like

Here's a link to try and hopefully it is up to date (but may not be?)

https://www.att.com/internet/fiber/

Thanks. It defaults to Internet 50