Audio and picture out of sync

I have Comcast and one of the best internet packages they have. However the audio and video is out of sync. It is unwatchable. Is there something I need to do?

What kind of home router? Is your atv on wifi or wired?

Have you tried any other apps like HDHomeRun VIEW on your Mac/PC?

I’ve sent you an invite to our beta, can you try it and see if the same issues occur?

Sounds like it might be a bandwidth issue on your local network. The streams come from the HDHomeRun directly and not the Internet, so your internet connection doesn’t matter but the speed of your wifi network does.

Doesn’t seem to have helped much. What can I do to improve bandwidth?

Ideally you would plug the atv into your router with an Ethernet cable. I recommend you try this if possible to rule out any issues with the atv, channels app, HDHomeRun hardware or cable card.

Look up the router you are using and see what wifi protocols are supported by it. We recommend 802.11ac

I have had the same issue a few times, I also have Comcast top Internet. I have iMac computer and apple extreme router. In my cases resetting the router didn’t fix the issue but resetting my HDHomeRun Prime did fix my issue. ( Not sure that this did helped: but I also reset the Apple TV by pressing the home & menu button at the same time until the light on the box stats flashing rapidly the let the buttons go. )

Hope this helps

I also have a fast Comcast internet connection, but it doesn’t matter.

The Channels ATV connection is totally dependent on your household ethernet or wifi function.

It is best to have the ATV on a hard wired ethernet connection for Channels.

If not possible and you are using wi-fi, and if you have an iOS device…
Load free Wi-Fi SweetSpots iOS app and test as close to the ATV as possible.

You may be able to get better reception by repositioning ATV.

Keep your network as flat as possible. it is best to have a single switch with the HDHRs and all your media servers, NAS, and ATVs all plugged into. Avoid uplinking to additional hubs or routers, or having any downlinks to other switches.

I basically go from FIOS ethernet into my Airport Extreme, then directly to a 24 port Switch. EVERYTHING plugs into that single switch, or connects via 802.11 (AC)

In the past I had several 8 port switches and I can tell you I experienced problems with streaming across them, it all went away when I collapsed to a single switch.

If you are using Wireless. Do yourself one favor, only enable WPA2 Personal mode, not the WPA/WPA2 mode. There is overhead associated with WPA Personal mode. Additionally make sure your 5GHz wireless network is a difference name, and connect the ATVs to that wireless network not your 2.4Ghz wireless. I run 3 ATVs wireless, prior to restricting my wireless network to WPA2 Personal only, I experienced some issues in streaming. I haven’t since.

For what it’s worth… (For the record I run 6 wired ATVs, 3 Wireless ATVs, and I haven’t seen any streaming issues. I think at most I have had 5 Channels streams running at once and the others playing netflix, or hulu. But I have had all them running at the same time).

I have a single Ethernet switch with 2 apple TVs on wireless AC and 1 Apple TV connected with ethernet and still have the issue on all 3 from time to time. I stream everything Hulu, Netflix, HBONow etc… and the HdHomeRun is the only thing that I ever have sync issues with. It is always fixed by reseting the prime box.

Fixed it. Moved the HDHR to the Basement so it can go directly into the router and straight from the coax cable signal booster.

1 Like

Thanks for postng your “fix”. Could help other users in the future.

Just downloaded HDHomerun app to 2 Firesticks and audio & picture is out of sync on both. Every time it loads, it says “audio only” first. What’s happening?

You would need to ask [email protected] or http://forum.silicondust.com about their app

Thanks!