Audio Description/Descriptive Video Issue

Good morning all,
Previous seasons of ABC's The Rookie & Will Trent have both had audio description. For whatever reason, the first two episodes of each show have not had audio description....although interestingly enough both have audio description on Hulu.

Is anyone else having this issue? I would really prefer having audio description on my Channels recording vs. watching on Hulu. Is there any reason that Channels is the culprit? Other networks audio description is working fine.

Apple TV 4k (latest generation) powered by Channels running on a mini Acer PC with the help of a Silicondust HDHR 3-tuner.

Thanks for any suggestions, thoughts, etc.

If you still have those two recordings try playing them with VLC or another player and see what audio tracks you can select.

You can also inspect them with MediaInfo to see what audio tracks were recorded.

Most likely the audio track wasn't in the stream of the source you recorded them from (HDHR tuner?)

Yes, they were recorded with a HDHR tuner. If I remember correctly, MediaInfo can be accessed on a file by right clicking (in Windows) but not sure how to do this on a Channels file. I would assume VLC is also a Windows app. This is leading me to believe a file on the Channels server could be found to check these. If so, interesting, and thank you very much.

Both VLC Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN
and MediaInfo MediaInfo are cross-platform apps. In fact MediaInfo can be used from their website MediaInfoOnline - MediaInfo in your browser without installing it. "MediaInfoOnline allows you to use MediaInfo in your browser without installing any software on your computer. Your information is kept safe because everything stays on your machine (nothing is uploaded to our servers)."

You just need to find the directory you told Channels DVR to record in and look in the TV directory there for the recorded TV shows or the Movies directory for the recorded movies. They will have a .mpg file extension.

2 Likes