Auto Record on Pause

Auto Record on Pause.
Please let me beat this horse just one more time.
Overview:
We know we can record a channel we are watching by:

1. Hitting the Down button on the remote twice
  2. Clicking Record twice (The second one is the one to change Options, add a Pass)
    Then we don’t have to worry about the size of the “live buffer”, we use the recording (Like YouTube TV).
    Idea:
    Let’s automate steps 1 and 2 above, (without any ability to change the Default Record Options).
    When Pause button pressed,
    assume steps 1 and 2 are done
    Execute the Record logic and return to the Pause logic.
    ADD A NEW SETTING: Optional, could just make “Pause” mean always start a recording (YouTube TV).
    . Auto Record on Pause: ON / OFF
    Now, when we are watching a program and we “Pause”,
    There will be one new instruction at the beginning of the Pause logic:
    Pseudo code:
    (At the beginning of the “Pause” logic)
    IF Auto-Record (TRUE)
    THEN Branch and Return Do-Record
    (This is the already existing Record logic, with a beginning and end-point added if needed)

I don’t think it matters whether the Pause and Record logic are on the Server side or Client side or combo.

The Client Live Tv buffer will still be there for the 15 minutes or so, whatever free Client memory allows.

This works pretty much just like YouTube TV, when you Pause, it starts a recording,
but possibly making this optional with the new Auto Record on Pause setting.
Developers... How about this? Seems simple, I could be wrong !

Greatest line of the week.

@eric
I am very well aware of everything you wrote. It is all very true. And I respect it. But I agree. This topic is the new "clock". The community (including me) might not let their desire for this go.

I think implementing this idea is easy. I ask eric very nicely to do it. One random day in the future (short-medium-long term) eric post that he did it. And it will be very little effort on my part.

I am sure this will be a huge and major change. Something that might be in long distant future. But please appease us and just tell us you are putting it in long term road map. Even if it's a lie. I'm ok with it.

1 Like

We don't have a roadmap in these parts.

We are always evaluating the product as it is today and the problems and successes that people are having with it.

...I was just about to write more, but realized that everything I have to say is what I already said in the previous post you referenced.

1 Like

I know there's no official roadmap. Ty for tolerating us bringing the subject up again. I will not initiate pause/record issue again. . . But, anytime someone else does I will probably join in. Don't mind me, just trollin.

Thats why I made sure to reference your previous reply. You where very thorough, polite & true. You shouldn't have to type it again.