Automatically Scanning Local Content

Is there any way to configure Channels DVR to automatically scan the local content directories and import any new media, say, once a day?

IIRC, it scans every 5mins.

Oh that's cool. I interpreted the docs as saying updates had to be done manually. "You can force a new scan of your local content by using the Scan Sources option in the Local Content section of Settings." I suppose having the capability to force a local scan and having the local scans done automatically aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. I should just try it out rather than reading the docs to figure out its behavior.

1 Like

To follow up on this topic, is there any way to prevent Channels from auto-scanning every 5 minutes? Sometimes I'm loading batches of files, and if it auto-scans, the partially-loaded files show errors (like 0 minute run times) and I end up having to "trash" the file from channels, change the file name, prune deleted, and then re-scan. Maybe there's a better way to handle this?

I agree I have to constantly refresh the metadata.

Example .. . show 4 minutes. really 1 hr 2 minutes.

After refresh ...

If you script it where you put the imports in a temporary holding folder, then MOVE them to your import folders it should work. The MOVE is almost instantaneous.

I agree it's yet another workaround and Channels DVR should be able to determine the file is still being written to and not import it.

It does know it just ignores the alert and scans the file anyway .... It does not refresh the metadata when the file is complete.

2022/08/12 12:27:33.439800 [SCN] Ignoring episode with recent modification: /nfs/temp-share/ChannelsDVRMAIN/TV/The Outer Limits/The Outer Limits S05E11 1999-05-07 Ripper 2022-08-12-1159.mpg
2022/08/12 12:32:33.882791 [SCN] Ignoring episode with recent modification: /nfs/temp-share/ChannelsDVRMAIN/TV/The Outer Limits/The Outer Limits S05E11 1999-05-07 Ripper 2022-08-12-1159.mpg

LOL good catch.

Looks like movies would print that and wait to scan in. But episodes/videos would print the message and still continue.

Are others also seeing this "[SCN] Ignoring" message in their logs. Looks like @Edwin_Perez is using NFS and the detection works there. But I think others are using SMB and its hit-or-miss.

1 Like

Thanks this is working now ... scans the file when it completes.

1 Like

Ah, this thread explains my issue I posted in another thread. At least I know why it happens now.

My workaround was similar to what chDVRuser posted above. I created a temp folder on my NAS that is on the same drive as my movie files (there are 3 drives on it with all my movies) and I would move my files to the temp folder from the computer I ripped the movie on and then move the file into the main folder that Channels reads from the NAS web interface. That move is instant and Channels doesn't have any issues with it. It's a little annoying to have to do it that way, but it works.

You do not have to do that anymore ... I have 2 DVR's and 1 Records to an import folder defined on the other.

Yes. I get same SCN ignoring message in my logs. I have to refresh metadata for each file to get it to show properly

With the latest releases the EDLS are not reflected when importing NFS files. I have to manually refresh the metadata.

It appears that they are not getting verified. It only shows verified after I manually refresh metadata.

With the latest pre-release you can adjust the frequency of scanning.

2 Likes