Automatically Switch to Recorded Channel if All Tuners are in Use

One thing I would like to see with Channels is let's say it's 8:45 pm, and come 9:00 pm, I have three shows that are scheduled to record. If I'm watching TV on a channel other than what is about to be recorded, two of my recordings will start at 9:00 pm, but the third will not record, because I still have a live channel on.

This is one thing I liked about WMC, is that it would automatically change to one of the channels I was recording, making sure I didn't miss a recording. There isn't even a warning with Channels to remind you that all tuners are about to be in use.

Thanks.

1 Like

Great suggestion. That's a good default, automatically switch so the scheduled recording isn't missed. SageTV presents a message in this situation, about 5 or 10 minutes before the scheduled recording is about to be missed, asking the user what they would like to do.

1 Like

I believe this falls under the blanket category of "Conflict management".

Also, instead of randomly forcing the user into a tuner that will be used for a recording, present the user with the option to remain on the channel, or deferring one of the upcoming recordings.

Of course, this isn't presently possible with the clients' default setting to not use tuner sharing. In the current default situation, each client maintains its own dedicated feed to the tuner separate from the DVR server; the DVR has no knowledge of whether a client is watching a live stream or not. (Of course, this only holds true for HDHR tuners, as Locast and TVE streams are managed by the DVR by necessity.)

In other words, any form of conflict management is only viable when all clients use tuner sharing. The classic method of tuner management is that the DVR server manages all tuners. The method presently used by Channels (and SD's own software) is that the tuner itself manages the connections to it; this makes the current number of available tuners ephemeral and subject to change at a moment's notice.

As long as Channels allows the tuners themselves to manage their resources, instead of enforcing tuner sharing and claiming ownership of all tuners, then advanced conflict management will never fully be realized.

Wow. Great idea.

1 Like

This is the way WMC does it. I loved that.

2 Likes

To add to this, even if all Channels clients are set to tuner sharing, Channels can’t assume that another piece of software (like SD’s apps) won’t come in and take a tuner at any time. WMC is able to do this because it has exclusive access to the tuners (I believe). I’m not sure if it’s possible to “reserve” HDHR tuners. If so, Channels DVR might be able to immediately consume all HDHomerun tuners to guarantee access for itself, but that could cause lots of other issues for some users. It’s a tough nut to crack.

SD's older UDP-based library/API (rather than their current HTTP-based API) allows for programs to take over whole tuner devices completely. Further, it also allows for the creation of "pools" of tuner devices to be used.

(Other features offered by the older library—which is still maintained—include support for tuners that are no longer supported by the HTTP API, as well as streaming the full mux of a channel and selectively filtering on PIDs.)

If you are going to use multiple APPS to use the tuners it would be wise to Increase amount of tuners.

Tvheadend does full mux streaming with HDHRs and it's great because it doesn't needlessly use another tuner to view/record two programmes that happen to be on the same mux. I initially set up Tvheadend to route my SAT>IP tuners into Channels, but it works so well that I use it to route my HDHR as well.

I almost never have conflict issues due to the number of tuners I have and full mux streaming with Tvheadend, but my setup isn't common and I agree that Channels needs proper conflict management. That and playing video while on the EPG are really the only two features it's missing compared with a standalone DVR.