Av1 library support

Just wondering if channels dvr supports playback of av1 library items. my server has a a2000 gpu

2 Likes

anyone?

1 Like

I don’t know. You could try importing a couple and see if they play.

Not currently supported

Please pass along my +1 to add it.

1 Like

AV1 is a thing nowadays. Hope Channels adds support for it

1 Like

Just wondering if there is any update to this. It is pretty important for me. I would even be ok if the backend transcoded av1 to another format for playback. thanks. Happy thanksgiving.

It's only been 6 days since we responded that it is not supported. This hasn't changed and isn't in our immediate plans.

2 Likes

That being said. I don't need to play it back in channels but import av1 encoded files so it does not re-record. can I do that.

hello

1 Like

Try importing one.
Channels DVR won't support playing it, but you should see it in the Library if it works.
If it doesn't import it, then you have your answer.

If this is the AV1 you're talking about, it looks like it has wide support.

With the new iPhones having AV1, and plenty of android devices having it too.. it doesn't make sense to me that channels doesn't have AV1 support yet?

My understanding is that pretty much everything is done by ffmpeg in the background, does ffmpeg not support av1? I would have assumed ffmpeg would have been one of the first libraries to introduce it.

Could you share some insight into why AV1 is not yet supported? Thanks in advanced.

ps. how well are Intel GPUs supported? I'm installing a low profile intel arc a310 solely for transcoding into my NAS.

Intel ARC is not probably not work.

AV1 support is planned but not a top priority at the moment. It's not something we can just check a box to turn on.

2 Likes

Its a new year and still looking for av1 support.

To paraphrase the who:

"So you think 24 is going to be a good year?"

1 Like

SAME Here... AV1 support please. So many videos are now encoded with this, like 30 of my local files cannot be played via Channels due to this lack of support.

2 Likes

With all the updates to channels dvr lately, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for this again. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AV1 files play for me when using Emby (Direct Play). they do not play (black screen) when using Channels DVR.

Device: onn 4K Streaming Box.

Unfortunately it appears none of the current Apple TV models support hardware AV1 decoding. This means 4K videos will not be possible to play back. Smaller resolutions should play in the latest TestFlight betas.

What about android? thanks.

Just tried playing an av1 file in the android tv app but only got audio.