Back button fails with Harmony using Bluetooth

Good catch..... I redid my setup using "Harmony Pro BT AppleTV" and everything works again without using the Beta or the IP AppleTV profile.

Thanks!

I had the same experience last night. I reconfigured my Harmony to use the new "Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4" device profile and now my remote is working again. I hope this helps anyone else that may have had issues using the Bluetooth profile.

I'm not on 13.4 on my basement TV, but I did just go to change something on the Harmony remote and it forced an update to the Harmony hub.

Afterwards, the back button feels way laggy. Way more than all the other buttons. It almost feels like 500ms of latency. I'm not sure if it's psychosomatic or what. Or if this is some kind of fix of theirs.

Just wanted to post my experience to see if:

1. anyone else noticed this
  2. if this fixes the issue on 13.4

What I'm seeing is you can't press the back button fast multiple times or nothing happens. Other than that it works fine.

I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm on tvOS 13.4, updated Harmony Hub, new BT Apple TV 4 device profile and the back button works but seems laggy. This is the only button that seems laggy to me. I'm not sure why it's laggy and who can fix it (Logitech vs Apple)? It's laggy in all apps so that rules out that it's a Channels app issue.

one question about all this - i got burned a while back when logitech removed the API that HomeBridge uses to control the harmony. i managed to revert the firmware and then i told my router to prevent the harmony from connecting to the internet so that it couldn't auto-update. but a side effect of this is i can't configure the harmony from the app anymore since it all seems to go thru the cloud.

so i just want to clarify - there's a new device called "Harmony Pro BT Apple TV 4" and if i add this device and make a new activity the back button will start working again, but may be all laggy. is that right? i read sometime back that logitech put back the API but i was too afraid to find out. does anyone know if homebridge works with the latest harmony firmware? if not, if i unblock the harmony i may lose homebridge again.

i've noticed that the back button (esc) hasn't worked in youtube for some time but this behavior for me in Channels is new as of 13 april 2020. did 13.4 just come out? i never pay attention to software update on the appleTV...

Yes it works. It's not that it's laggy.... you just can't do quick back button presses one after another. So press, wait 1 sec, press, wait 1 sec, press. That's the only button that acts like this too. It's weird.

It's this way for all the apps I use.

1 Like

They did. You can enable the API again in the settings. As the developer of Harmony API I was super disappointed when they disabled this too. But it's been back for a while and works just as it did before.

You should feel safe upgrading.

1 Like

thanks, didn't expect to get the answer from the horse's mouth!

OK, i managed to do this. one thing that took some googling is that the device is not under "apple" as the manufacturer - it is under "Harmony Pro"/"BT Apple TV 4". i don't know why everything logitech does has to be so opaque.

the disclaimers shown when enabling the XMPP interface are ridiculous.

things still don't work right in the youtube app - no keyboard entry for search - but i somehow discovered that control-enter does emulate the main button in that app. as far as channels is concerned everything seems OK again, including esc.

thanks for the help!

1 Like