Back button fails with Harmony using Bluetooth

Strange behavior when using Harmony remote controlling ATV via Bluetooth. Back works as expected in Channels with the exception of actually watching video, where it has no effect at all. The work around is to include the default Apple TV via IR device in the setup of the activity and then modify the back button to use that devices "back" function. Very odd though, and doesn't appear to have the same issue for any other streaming app.

1 Like

It's not a channels issue, it's an Apple issue which showed up using the latest Beta releases and using the Harmony Beta profile. What you need to do is create the Activity using the AppleTV as the main player for that activity and the you can still use the Harmony beta profile for the sleep function and the recent apps function.

Thanks for the info.

What's weird is that I have 3 ATVs in my house and (I think) with identical setups. We only have one which exhibits this behavior (back works as expected on two others)

Maybe they are setup differently in the Harmony activity. If you use the Harmony Apple Beta only, then you will have issues with the back button.

Seeing this too. On public release of ATV but am using Harmony ATV Beta. The first Harmony Beta, not sure if it updates itself. I did first notice it in FX or Fox Sports, something with a long annoying intro, that I tried to back out of during intro. I've only experienced since in Channels app, it will work fine outside of Channels.

As I said earlier, use the Normal Apple TV profile and the Beta profile as an extra just for Sleep and Recent apps.

It's not convenient for me to the the normal profile since I don't easily have IR line of sight.

The Apple TV doesn't have IR....lol.

You can find it by searching the network, then redo your activity ans use the AppleTV as the main in the activity and the Beta will just be part of the activity.

jpblanch, I'm not sure if you're correct. I believe the Harmony Apple TV profile works over IR exclusively. To use BT you need to use the Harmony Beta or Harmony Pro BT profiles which need to pair the Harmony as a BT keyboard.

It does not. I am using it myself personally. Go in to add devices and scan your network. It uses IP to control it. BT uses the Beta for the keyboard function.

I'm exhibiting a similar behavior. It happened only since I've upgraded Apple TV to 13.4. The back button works in some areas of the Channels app, but it fails to work when I'm watching live TV. This results in no way for me to return to the guide. If I'm in the Guide and I want to go back to the top menu, the back button works then. If I'm viewing my upcoming recordings and want to go back to the Guide, it fails. It's just odd that in some areas of the app it works and others it doesn't work. Could this mean that Apple changed something in 13.4 and now the Channels app is experiencing this bug?

The Apple TV absolutely does have an IR sensor. I have used IR-only remotes with it in the past. Here’s further confirmation:

Link

I think it’s even possible the Apple remote has an IR blaster in it but I haven’t had time to verify that yet.

It doesn't use IP. That's one of the commonly known issues with ATV.

Exact same issue as me. Come to think of it, it happened after the upgrade. Weird that the other ATVs in my home are all upgraded too and work fine.

Yes it does, and this exactly how you set it up. I added the beta as a device manually after.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv

This started with 13.4, I get the beta releases. The fix is to add the Apple TV as I posted above.

So the Bluetooth profile is broken when using with tvOS 13.4? Ugh.

I’m going to be very upset about this. Using Bluetooth is the only way to get the harmony remote responsive. It’s great. The IP and IR methods are super laggy and feel terrible on the Apple TV.

The secret Bluetooth profile is the best kept secret. I’m not sure why it’s so secret.

It sounds like maybe some Of the new keyboard changes in iOS 13.4 might have messed this up as that’s how the Bluetooth profile works. It appears as a keyboard to the Apple TV.

I completely agree. I've used the bluetooth profile because it's the most responsive. I happen to notice that Harmony updated the name of the profile they want you to use. It's now called BT Apple TV 4. Has anyone used the new profile to see if it helps? I plan on replacing my old device with this new device this evening to give it a try.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-au/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv#appleTVBT

Back works fine on the guide screen and when you bring up quick guide, the weird thing is it only happens while watching a channel. And again works fine in other apps

It was worse, it wouldn't work at all in the beginning. Now it only doesn't work when stopping the stream.

I'm using the IP and it isn't laggy as all. It's no different than the Beta Profile honestly.

But I digress.... No one cares about what I think.