Batch processing

There are a number of a features / processes that could do with the ability to apply processing / settings to multiple recordings at the same time.

So I propose there would be an interface for batch processing of recordings.

Some of the functions that would benefit:

• Redetecting commercials. I have spent the last couple of days trying to get Channels to detect commercials on ~90 imported movies. This process has been very annoying (can go into it more if needed)
  • Moving shows / movies into / out of the kids library
  • Deleting / marking as watched / unwatched

I'm sure there are other things too, but I imagine there could be a shared / single interface for batch editing of files, probably only accessible via the web interface to avoid someone accidentally (or intentionally!) wiping the whole library.

Further to the above point about commercial detection, it would be very helpful for there to be a note / warning / icon to indicate recordings that have not had commercial detection.

In my above suggested batch processing feature, the batch processing should be able to be applied to filtered search results. For example, the batch processing interface might also be the search results interface. An example might be:

1. Search for all recordings without commercial detection
  2. Apply batch processing to all search results to add recordings to a commercial detection queue

An example that immediately comes to mind is the 'Find and recode' feature in the Xero cloud accounting software. You can search for (in Xero's case) transactions that meet a series of criteria and then apply edits to the whole lot at once. The interface could be better and should be more simple for Channels, but the principle seems perfect:

I would also like to be able to redetect by shows not just one recording at a time..

I have a simple php script that @beyo77 wrote for me that will redetect all episodes in a given show. PM me if you're interested and I will walk you through it.

Regarding the redetect feature - Am I the only one who ends up with the exact same results when running a redetect? I've yet to receive a more favorable outcome to a commercial detection and ultimately have to edit the show manually. As I understand, running comskip without actually changing the detection parameters from one scan to the next will always output the same result.

1 Like

Correct

1 Like

I'd like to add a vote for batch redetecting of commercials. I have some programs that were recording a while back (2020) and I reran commercial detecting on one episode today. Results were much better (I suspect the code is better today that 18 months ago). It would be great to take a program (let's say Frasier) and have it batch redetect commercials for that program.