Best Android Based Client

That's exactly it. I purchased the All In One Streamer remote.

I thought you were looking for the full function experience of direct access of guide, library and direct channel input. I have a one for all streamer remote and used that for months before I got the sofabaton. I liked it much better than the original apple remote.

I do want that.. But I can't find a remote I like exactly. I need a spare remote for my bedroom apple tv regardless. Just something to tie us over.

What remote do you suggest then?

Sorry I have not found one for the atv4k that I like. Believe me I am looking I have paid for 2 atv4k's just to use with channels and I am watching on a $50 ts4k just because of the remote.

Well I have this one remote for my bedroom apple tv. I have two Apple TV 4k's and one 4th gen. The 4th gen remote broke. Since they are so expensive to replace I got the All In One to test.

I've read good reviews on this remote. Guess we'll see.

which remote are you talking about here? the hub can be controlled by the companion remote which will talk to the hub over the network, and the hub then sends the signals out however it needs to (IR/RF/BT/whatever)...same premise if you use the phone app to talk to the hub. the connection between remote and hub is definitely not IR.

this hasn't been my experience with the TS4K and the harmony hub. you can configure them in the activity to work as FF/RW/etc if you want, but they aren't configured that way out of the box when you first add the activity.

Since Tivo now sells the stream remotes separately for $20, I wondering if anyone has successfully gotten them to work on other Android TV devices. I'm already deep into the new Chromecast with Google TV and don't care to go another route at this time....

I want to say I read somewhere this is possible.

I don't know for sure though.

does the chromecast have the ability to do one button push for guide/dvr/number entry /etc? i'm wondering how the experience there would compare to the ts4k...

Nope, certainly not out of the box. Not sure about possible unofficial macros. The remote is no better than what Roku provides.

argh, alright. that was the main reason i went for the ts4k in the first place.

i wonder if the chromecast would work in that fashion when combined with the harmony hub, though...if so, might be worth it for me to at least get two of them for my main living room and man cave which both have harmony hubs installed. the ts4k could be moved to the master bedroom so that i can continue using number entry and the guide button with the tivo remote....

might have to run to best buy after work and grab one to find out. worst case, i can return it...

Interesting, I didn't realize they were on sale now

https://www.tivo.com/products/stream-4k-remote

Yes I've paired it with chromecast gtv and it works. But the guide, tivo, skip, live and Netflix buttons don't work i wish they did.

There you go a new project to add to the list. Get all the buttons to work on a ts4k remote using it on other devices. Guess you weren't busy enough. :smile:

1 Like

BTW you can also pair the ts4k remote with the atv4k but only the common buttons work. So not much use.

Yes, the Harmony Hub-based remotes work quite well with the CCGTV. It's just the same as with the TS4K, since it's sending the same remote codes, and they're both Android.

1 Like

The chromecast works fine with the sofabaton. All the extra functions work but the pip using the "p" assigned to a button.

Bummer. Thanks for trying that out.

Brand new Channels DVR + HDHomeRun Prime user here, I'm in the same boat trying to figure out what ($50ish Android) streaming sticks fit best. We're replacing a Tivo Bolt and some Minis.

Returning to the original question...

I've read this whole thread but I'm struggling to understand the downside of the CCWGTV. The remote isn't great (understood) and you only get a ~30 min live TV buffer (I'm used to that). Is there anything else?

The Tivo Stream reviews were not good when they came out, so I wrote them off. It sounds like the remote provides such a better experience (if you remap the buttons) that it's worth it?