Best Android Based Client

Not really. If those shortcomings are acceptable, then you may be happy with the CCGTV. The limited RAM means that returning to the Home Screen takes a little longer, as it has to repopulate. Also, you can always use a different Bluetooth remote to get needed features.

I still have some issues with flickering with some video decoding on the TS4K that aren't present with the CCGTV (especially with TVE Discovery network streams). If the limitations don't turn you off, go for it. (Also, if you get the CCGTV w/ Netflix bundle, figuring in the cost of 6mo of Netflix, the device is only $15.)

If the remote is a big part of your decision, then the TS4K may be the device for you.

The TiVo stream 4K is the way to go imho. The kinks all got worked out and you can customize all the buttons for Channels with a little bit of work.

1 Like

Interesting. I was hoping to have solid YouTube TV support on the stick. Tivo still isn't doing that, right?

I really appreciate the input, thanks!

My vote is the Nvidia Shield 2019. Not only does it run Channels well, it runs all the apps I use and they run FAST. Not pokey like the $50 units. You get what you pay for. Plus you could even use it for a Channels server, but I have not tried that. Running my Channels on a PC server - works great!.

Just seen this article

AGREE 100%
I have both Apple TV and TiVo Stream and I was gonna return it until I read about how easy it is to disable and remap... I can’t tell a difference between ATV and TiVo when in Channels mode!
Don’t overthink it, just do it!
:sunglasses:

1 Like

the tivo stream 4k is not "pokey" in the slightest.

1 Like

At this time I have 1 Fire stick, 2 Fire stick 4K, 1 Fire Cube, 1 Insignia Fire TV, 2 Tivo 4k Streamers and 2 Apple TV's. The Apple TV's respond the best never any buffering and I am ready to get 2 more for our 4 TV's. Probably get rid of all the other devices or keep some as backup. Fire cube still in return time frame for amazon so that's going back. My 2 cents. Also I am running my server on a Synology DS720+ best purchase I have made. I was testing all out for my cord cutting in February when my contract expires. The Tivo Streamers are not bad but the Apple TV I find a lot quicker. I know that the Apple TV's are not Android but It's a streamer after all.

Interesting.

So out of all those devices you prefer Apple TV? When you say Apple is faster then the tivo stream 4K. Is it really noticeably faster?

In my situation price doesn’t matter. I own 3 Apple TV’s.

Android doesn't enforce anything. They like mall cops. It's anarchy. I'll take it over the walled garden though.

If price doesn't matter, why not buy a ts4k to try? You already know how they work. And I don't get buffering on my TS4k, which I'm assuming Charly does the way he phrased the comment. Then again, I'm Ethernet connected. I only use wifi if I have to.

I may but if it’s slower, what’s the point? Ill have to return it.

The shield didn’t even meet my expectations. Not sure how the tivo will, except for the controller.

Then don't try one. If the idea of returning it is that daunting, then just stick with your ATV's and enjoy.

Dude. Shield is the best multi-purpose client thing ever.

My apple tv's are instant no buffering stopping noticeable difference. All of the Android devices work and work well but to compare with a cable box it's the closest and wifi or no wifi no difference.
I haven't tried Shield but with apple tv no adds like the Amazon devices and that's very annoying.Easy interface and to use. Always know where my app's are in one place not moving around or have to go to another screen to find them.

The Tivo Stream 4k is $39 at this Walmart grocery link:
https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/TiVo-Stream-4K/787014131?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1571&&adid=22222222227370251494&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=470006925802&wl4=aud-393207457166:pla-971304493101&wl5=9018799&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=120643079&wl11=local&wl12=787014131&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJn-m9S57QIVA9vACh1rHQ1NEAQYASABEgI9NPD_BwE

Strangely, if you find it on their non grocery area of the website, it's $49.

It’s so much easier and cheaper in the US.

In Canada after tax it comes to almost $100.

No luck here. The link takes me to a page where the device is $49. :frowning:

Shame the days of $50 refurb harmony basic remote/hub are gone.