Best IPTV box to use with Channels

Hi, I'm just checking into and learning about Channels , so thought what bettter way to learn than from the community itself. Now, I'm not new to forums so I already tried searching for my questions but didn't get what I was looking for in returns. (Maybe didin't ask properly IDK) Anyway, On the home page I looked what platforms it supports and I have Android TV with a NVIDIA Shield for my IPTV provider and I saw they were both listed, so that's a good thing. But, further browsing and trying to learn more about how Channels works I found that the Shield device is NO LONGER supported and it has to be sideloaded into the Sheild. I'm familiar with doing this so not an issue, but I'm not that attached to the device and it will eventually become useless once Channels no longer provides software updates!!! So what is everyone using for thier Android Platforms? TIA

1 Like

Channels uses a server and a client. You provide both. At one time(actually still does) the shield could act as both the server and the client. Due to updates to the system from nvidia, the way it stores data now it is not going to be supported anymore as a server. This change has no impact on using the shield as a client. The shield is still supported and will continue to be supported for the foreseeable future as a client. The shield makes a great client along with Apple TV 4K.

Info about a server here:

2 Likes

I used to have my Shield running as a backup Channels server, but an update from nVidia broke it so now it's just a Channels client.

Some just install the server on an old windows computer and let it run 24x7. However, many Channels users have a Docker container on a NAS device for their server. About 2 years ago I built a multi-terabyte i5 UnRaid NAS system and have Docker containers for Channels, Plex, Wyze Bridge and a small SQL Server on it. It also runs an Home Assistant VM on it. With this setup, Channels records my driveway and doorbell camera feeds and hosts our home media needs.

Yes, Channels and Plex provide very similar capabilities. However, 2 of my kids use Plex to watch our media content over the internet to their homes.

Thanks for replies.... It's starting to make sense now!!! I can still use my shield but just need a seperate server to store my DVR recordings. Thanks Again! :+1: