BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

OTA buffering present again - hangs when starting a channel.

50ea23b3-6d78-4cc6-82a8-0ead39262bb8 submitted

1 Like

Same here. Running the pre-rel builds.

Question, is it normal to get the following error when trying to SFTP to an RPi Channels DVR?

bash: /usr/libexec/sftp-server: No such file or directory

I can successfully ssh as root to the device, but I get that error when trying to sftp instead using the following command.

sftp -P 22222 root@{ip address}

samba is meant to be the default file transfer process - it's configurable top-right on the settings page.

Thanks @hancox, the only reason I asked is that @tmm1 mentioned using sftp in this thread and I wanted to explore that but couldn't make it work.

Can anyone point me to the instructions on how to get the RPi Channels DVR converted to use wifi versus wired?

Any issues with using a flash/thumb drive for the OS, and non SSD for storage?
Or is using a small SSD preferred for the OS?

The OS drive still stores the guide database, which gets daily updates. So its preferred not to use a flash drive for that I think, just because a lot of thumb drives aren't that great. I don't think an SSD is required either, but they are pretty affordable these days.

Thank you for the quick response.

I have this issue as well. I've searched and searched and I don't find any details on this. I don't recall ever needing un/pwd in the past but now it's prompting. @tmm1 Is this normal behavior?

My Argon One V2 does come with a script for automated fan speed based upon the CPU temperature. However I can't seem to get the curl command to run as it's asking for an internet connection.

The command for the script is:

curl https://download.argon40.com/argon1.sh | bash

Is there any sort of page that has a Changelog or Release Notes for the Pi OS part of this image for new updates? (not meaning the Release notes of the DVR server part)

I have changed the sever name from "DVR-SERVER" to something else, "PI-DVR".
I turned off then on the SAMBA share option and that then does show on the UI the new name file path.

Computers on the network are still seeing the share being advertised as DVR-SERVER, and not the new name. (Under Network in File Explorer)
You also can not access it when you try to open in it.

If you type into File Explorer, "\\PI-DVR" it works, so the new name is infact valid and working, also works with direct IP.

A bug maybe, of it still advertising the default name?

I have rebooted, even powered down and unplugged the Pi from the network for at least 10 min. And rebooted the computers and LAN connection. they still see the old name.

I'm not sure that Channels will push the CPU hard enough to need the fan unless you overclock your Pi 4?

The Argon One case does just about equally as well as a Flirc case in passive cooling. I rarely see above 55 deg C using the Flirc when the Pi 4 is being taxed. Heck, even for the brief time that I used the Pi 4 with no case it still never got above 73 deg C.

See this review of the Argon SSD case for a bit more info. https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/argon-one-m-2-review

I can't quite bring myself to buy it right now but i'd love to have a nice all-in-one Channels device. Argon One M.2 case, WD Red M.2 2TB SSD and, preferably, the next rev of the Pi! lol (love the way the Pi 4 works but just that bit extra power for Comskip specifically would be welcome)

Currently my Pi 4 with the Argon SSD case usually sits around 25-30c and rarely gets about 35c but I also have a low power fan on it as well which is helping push air to it.

The only thing I would like to see added to the Pi OS image is the ability to remotely modify stuff like Docker stuff from say an Windows 10 system. Unless can that be done already and I somehow missed that?

1 Like

The Channels custom image for Pi is definitely the bare minimum install. If Channels was running on JSON then I imagine they could bake in the schedule grabber for Pluto etc. but I don't see them doing that for Docker.

Obviously it can be done if you install Raspbian and each of your programs separately.

Did you ever use your Pi 4 with a HDD or have you always used it with SSD? I'm intrigued to know if there is any performance to be gained by switching to an SSD. Currently mine is connected to a WD MyPassport 1TB HDD with USB 3.0. I'm using 2 cores for Comskip processing. Everything is quick and accessible at the client end using Apple TV 4K's and iPad's.

In Comskip I'm seeing about 8-9 mins processing time per hour recorded for MPEG-2 HD video and 20-24 mins processing time per hour recorded for H.264 HD video. Is yours doing any better than that with the SSD?

1 Like

Is this image install onto a usb drive interchangeable to another Pi4?
Meaning, should the Pi fail on me, i can just unplug the usb drive, connect it to the a new Pi4 and it boots right up?
Since all the data, OS, databases, etc are fully on the usb drive, this seems possible??

If not, then why?

then, how does one suggest "backing up" the Channels DVR files.
On my other sever, installed on a full linux pc, i just backup the whole channels dvr directory where all the files are, (as well as Emby server folder) to my backup drive, in case i need to restore the system, or wipe and install the os.

O. i just spent some time reading the link in the OP about recommended hard drive enclousures.....and, found something interesting. The one I am using, is on their "naughty list", yet, it has been working just fine for me.
# ORICO 2.5 USB 3 External Hard Drive Enclosure, USB3.0 to SATA Portable Clear Hard Disk Case for 2.5 inch

Edit: They say in their table as title its the usb C version though, but the link goes to the non C version, wich is the one i have.

If i setup a new Pi Sever, i would probably just go buy a Samsung T7 drive, like the one I have for mY Nvidia Shield.

I have this EXACT enclosure, the Type-A one. 500gb 850 EVO hooked to Shield Pro 2019. No issues.

I know this is a Pi thread with Pi info, but what was supposed to be the problem again with this enclosure?

The page said that was reported just doesn't work with the pi. I did buy a transparent USB-C enclosure at the same time to use elsewhere, but it was a different brand, QGeeM, and it worked twice and then failed and had to do a force return to Amazon after the return period expired, Because the manufacturer/seller refused to respond.