BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

I have the HDHR5-4US quad tuner. It was stable until the last firmware release(Feb I think). Let me clarify locked up. The tuner is up and can get to the web browser interface. But when you try to tune a channel, it does not tune and timeout. This is with the HD apps as well. So the only option is to unplug and reboot. It happened twice to me in March. So far in April it's been stable. I have it on a UPS so the power should be clean enough. If it happens again, I'll see about getting the powersupply replaced. Thanks for that info.

Are you using the latest stable release firmware or the most recent beta firmware for the HDHR? Stable releases usually every 6 months or so. The betas are sometimes more frequent. what i am using is 20210404beta1.

Reboot the HDHR and it will return to normal. Silicondust is replacing mine for this same issue.

There is a firmware upgrade to this just released

HDHomeRun Firmware (20210501beta1)

• HDHR5/HDFX/HDVR: Fix bug that could cause tuners to stop tuning channels.
  • HDFX-4K: Prioritize tuning ATSC 1.0 channels on the ATSC 1.0 tuners.

There is something wrong and I can't figure out why. My clients can't find Channels DVR, Its happening more often now. This occurs in the mornings like this morning. I have submitted a diagnostic. 3a06107b-1f57-45b4-a7a2-6b83ca56cac2
I think when the guide does a refresh or commercial detection that it causing the server to restart. My clients can't find the server even if I manually input the IP address. Everything
returns to normal after power recycle to PI is rebooted.
What Happens between here: What is is waiting for, for nearly 9 hours.
2021/05/02 21:08:10.610972 [SYS] Started HTTP Server
2021/05/02 21:08:10.662588 [SYS] Waiting on dependencies network-online.target time-sync.target
2021/05/02 21:08:12.631750 [SYS] Waiting on dependencies time-sync.target
2021/05/03 05:30:17.154214 [SYS] Done waiting on dependencies

Hello, I'm on the release firmware 20210224. So far it's been stable, so I'll wait for the beta to become release. Looks like the beta firmware does resolve my issue. Thanks for posting here as I don't monitor Silicon's forums much.

My experience with PI up to now is every time there is a new pre-release my PI always require a power recycle. Just clicking on the updates is not enough. I always seems to loose all my pass recordings and clients can't find DVR even if I manually input the IP address. It always require a power recycle. I'm am going back to my NAS for DVR. This setup is just not reliable anymore for DVR'ing my shows. You go cheap, this is what you get.

Don't know about that. Maybe something with your pi and hard drive or something.
I have 2x PiDVRs running for a few months now, never had the issues you are having.

I'm just about to hang up this Channels DVR software anyway. I'm getting tired of the pre-releases breaking something everyday. Today with the latest I now have missing logos again with only call letters. This is getting F***ing ridiculous..

Since many others use this just fine, your experience is not typical.
Pre-releases most always fix things, usually TVE, cause that is always changing on the other side of things and needing tending to....always will be.

2 Likes

Hello, running into a login page not found error when rescanning TVE channels with Philo TVE. I get a blank screen on a PC Browser(Chrome). I cleared my PC browser and finally got the Philo TVE Login page. So I assume the "browser" that the Pi Image is using is stuck on this cache page. Any instructions on clearing the browser cache in the Pi Image? Thanks.

Others have reported that removing and readding Philo fixes the issue.

You should never rely on pre-release software if you're worried about things breaking. That is why they are pre-release. Stay on stable if you want it to be stable.

Hello, I removed and re-added Philo and that did work.

1 Like

I have a quick question. and in need to say i can only follow directions and have no idea about anything other than the directions i followed. with that being said I bought a raspberry pi 4 with 2gb of ram and followed the instructions in making the bootable drive plugged it in and all is working well. my wife is a recording maniac and sometimes has a bunch of recordings going i notice a bit of a slower response etc
i am wondering if i upgrade the pi to one with more ram, will that help and would all i have to do is set up the unit and plug in the drive and it will continue to run as it is now so all my wifes passes are intact etc. And do you think more ram or the new 400 series will work better. As i said it is fine now but just wondering for a bit better performance. thanks

Secfincorp, I have the 4gb version and Channels won't take advantage of the extra memory; so don't think that is your bottle neck. What USB Drive are you using? I get shudders when starting and skipping forward. I have a USB3 HDD. There is a pre-release that optimizes storage backend. I'm going to try that before going to an SSD.

Thanks for the info. I am using a usb3 hdd and not a ssd either. I dont want to mess my stuff up so I dont know how to try the pre-release, let me know if you do it and and if it works. Thanks John

The prerelease has made menus and guide snappier, but still get stutters when we start to watch a recording and if I skip forward. the stutter last for a second or so, so it's not too distracting. When I find good prices for a 2tb m.2, I'll upgrade to the Argon Pi case that has the m.2 sata slot. Been using Channels and Pi for six months after cutting the cord. While quirky, been stable enough to be our permanent TV watching solution.

I am super happy with my setup, running great. thanks for the update.
went on amazon to check out the Argon Case and 2tb m.2 and it looks awesome. cooling and everything right in the case. I may try that when the hdd comes down under 200 bucks.

the only thing that would be hard for me is to setup the m.2 hard drive with the info on my current system. i guess i can do some googleing. but i am so happy with my tv situation now. i cut the cord and with all the alacarte stuff i was paying for it cost me way more than this cable card and channels dvr.

Just saw a YouTube review from ETA Prime on a Pi Case that holds 2.5" SSD called the Geekworm NASPi. Similar price to the Argon but maybe easier and cheaper to get a 2TB 2.5" SSD vs M.2.