BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

Which OS for the 4PI you recommend? Thanks!!!

The official Pi OS (Raspbian OS) works well.
The Lite version (headless) is very good for always on sever setup.
That is what I use on my other Pi's that do other things..

There also is DietPi OS, that I have heard good things about.
Very nice wizard and easy graphical system to install other software's that is optimized for the os.

Personally, if you are only wanting to use the Pi as a Channels DVR server, use the Channels Image and a good usb3.0 hard drive (SSD works best, like a Samsung T7) and a good case that has a fan. There are many on Amazon. I use this case

The Argon case is kinda finicky, and best for use with more advanced setups with the Pi, in my experience when i tried it, ended up returning it. Bulky as case, and Didn't like the idea of using m.2 type drive setup anyway. M.2 can get kinda hot. Seems to me better to use a direct usb3.0 drive as the intended setup is designed for best stability and performance.

1 Like

Wow :grinning: thanks a lot for the info.

The case that you got, looks really good.

Appreciated
Hector

I'm having trouble getting a brand new Pi setup. I am wanting to move my Channels server from a Shield to a Pi.

I have followed the instructions in this thread, but when I go to http://dvr-server.local:8089/ it doesn't load.

I have the Pi connected to one of my wifi mesh network notes through a ethernet switch. Do I need to connect it to the "main" router instead of a node? Anything else to troubleshoot?

1 Like

Connecting to the actual router would be preferable.

Does http://dvr-server load? Are you trying to load on mac or pc?

If you check your router admin interface you should be able to find the Pi IP address and use that directly too.

Trying to load on a PC. Would the Pi show up as "dvr server" on my mesh device list? If so, I see the IP address. Do I just replace the "local" part of the web address with the actual IP to try that way?

just type the IP into the browser

Same thing... "refused to connect"

I turned off my Shield server by disabling the DVR and Bonjour. Also disabled the Channels DVR server app from the shield directly. Does any of that factor in here?

No. You should be able to connect to the Pi DVR using its IP http://x.x.x.x:8089

It might not actually be running on the Pi. Is the green light on the front solid?

Yeah - solid green

What kind of router/mesh? It must be filtering traffic or something weird is going on with that bridge thing you're using.

I moved it to the main router. Same result. It's a TP link deco M9 plus

Can you share the exact URL you are typing into the browser address bar so we can confirm?

I appreciate all the responses. Last night I re-flashed the USB img and switched out the ethernet cable I was using and it's up and running now. Excited!

1 Like

Tried remote accessing the DVR over LTE this weekend and it buffered a lot. Pretty much unwatchable. Using the 2gb ram version of Pi4. Any settings to check or tweak to improve the transcoding performance?

LTE adds a different level of complexity, but my experience with transcoding on the Pi has been poor.

Does the web player, in your home, perform any differently?

May also be worth looking for similar error messages in your log:

Just tested the web player and it was much better, actually. A couple blips here and there, but nothing big. I guess using LTE was the bottleneck, to your point. However, when using my previous setup of using a Shield as a server, I don't remember having issues streaming over LTE.

Not a super common use care for me, though, so using the Pi still seems workable.

What speed were you using in the client for remote streaming? Sounds like the connection was not up to the task. Maybe try a lower quality setting, if there is one.

Hello, ran into buffer full message wihile recording three OTA and one TVE program. Typically not a problem but again noticed Comskip running on a long 2hr OTA program. Turned off Comskip while I order a SATA SSD to see if that will give me the headroom to keep Comskip on.

Question on SSD Trim. Is that enabled in the Channels DVR Pi Image? If not, any instructions on how to enable? I did an Internet search and not clear if there is an easy way to get all the packages loaded on the Channels Image to enable. Thanks.