BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

I have a workaround!

Will link shortly.

The latest image boots on drives larger than 2TB!

1 Like

Success! I was able to boot using my 6TB Seagate drive.

1 Like

I have started work on the UI to manage the OS. This is now available in DVR pre-release build v2020.10.16.2148

Once you update (by click-and-hold on the regular Check for Update button), you will notice a new section appears with another update button:

OS upgrades require a reboot, which will not happen automatically. When you click the Reboot Now button the RPI will power cycle itself and you will hear it make a short chirp sound.

up and running on 2020.1016.2140!

Somewhat stupid question - should i worry there isn't a "clean" shutdown available? Thinking about when drives disconnected for copying (like I'm going to do right now)

Uh oh.

It doesn't appear to create an exfat partition for copying content over, though, unless I'm missing something. Plugging the usb drive into a windows pc yields only the hassos-boot partition, and nothing else.

There is a DVR partition. It mounts on my mac. I didn't try on Windows yet, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work the same way.

You have to do a clean boot once to have it created.

I will add a clean shutdown button.

bbce345d-1b49-4eb3-99a4-afd04fcccc36 submitted

There is absolutely a DVR partition created, but windows can't see it - i reimaged, re-setup, recorded, rebooted (via power button), and watched the partial recording. Shut down the pi via power button again, attached to PC, and got:

...so i got thrown off by the "boot loop" after the first upgrade to the latest build, but same issue, even after a few clean starts.

Trying to avoid setting up ssh / scp to get the database and recordings over, because it defeats the purpose for non-techies, but that's my only barrier now.

The upgrade reboot is attempted three times and if it fails it will boot back into the old version.

But you're already using the latest img so Check for Update should just say Up to Date?

The upgrade was from the image build to the latest with the OS upgrades. Didn’t matter though. Even after clean boots, no partition usable by windows.

That's a bummer. I will try to attach to windows next week and see if I can make sense of what's going on. The partition is clearly listed in the GPT so I don't get why Windows is being so finicky about it.

On https://matthew.komputerwiz.net/2015/12/13/formatting-universal-drive.html it says you need a special msftdata flag in the GPT, but it also says gdisk will set it automatically and I'm using sgdisk.

On GPT partitions, Windows needs the msftdata flag set. Depending on the utility used, selecting the appropriate type will also set this flag. This flag is also used for NTFS partitions.

It's possible the partition needs to be aligned?

I found some reports of Linux and Mac formatted exFAT not working on Windows: https://askubuntu.com/questions/706608/exfat-external-drive-not-recognized-on-windows/812761

Xfinity TVE Timed out on Auth sent log 3bb6eaf2-a4ca-4447-9994-26dfe169faca

hey @Bob_Prendergast or @cshipman (Sorry to keep tagging), have your <2TB drives worked with windows? Also wondering about similar 64-bit shenanigans.

I'm a macOS user.. I just ran the installer with the image, I didn't change the format or anything of the HDD

I don't use any Windows, just Mac & Android and my tvs use Nvidia Shield (Android). Everything is working perfectly and super fast and responsive. I did have an Nvidia Shield low storage message last night that I have never seen before since I made this transition, but I deleted some unused apps and cleared Channels App cache and it went away. I will keep an eye on this and report if it comes back.

You typo'd your username with ,net instead of .net

Oh well. Out hiking today, but may try to boot the pi off of old SD card later on