BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

If I format my existing drive and use the latest image, will the connection to Windows be available "out of the box"? If so, I can easily load my imports again, but will likely still use SSH after the first load to avoid having to unplug and move the drive each time I need to upload new files.

If you want to try and don't mind rebuilding, the following would be helpful:

• upgrade to latest OS (2020.1019.0007) by click-and-hold the second Check for Update button
  • ssh in
  • check gdisk -V says 1.0.5
  • run the commands from https://askubuntu.com/a/1058425
  • run shutdown -r now then move the drive to a windows machine and check you can access the dvr drive
  • reattach to the Pi and check it boots up correctly

If that works I will make it automatic.

I am also adding SMB support which will be ready shortly.

Here is what I get when I run the first gdisk command from that site:

I also checked my directory and I do not have a folder or file called sdX inside the dev folder.

Use gdisk /dev/sda

EDIT: I decided to try it on an older install and when I rebooted my pi didn't come back. I will check it out more tomorrow but avoid this for now.

1 Like

I've added support for samba access in the latest OS + DVR update.

4 Likes

I was able to connect and transfer a 6+GB file successfully using samba. At first, I received a message that there was not enough space on the drive. I rebooted the Pi and it worked successfully.

1 Like

Thanks. I upgraded, then had no problem browsing to smb://dvr-server/media/DVR from a Mint 20 laptop, copying part of one of the mpg files, and viewing it there.

1 Like

I tried to connect via SMB from my Windows 10 PC. Every time it just said there wasn’t enough space to copy anything. I rebooted the Pi multiple times with the same result.

Were you trying to copy into /media/DVR?

Yes.

I was not able to reproduce the "no space" issue over SMB from my Windows PC. Maybe try again after upgrading to the latest OS v2020.1020.2245?

In the latest OS + DVR combination, I have added support for managing both USB disks and SMB share mounts via the UI:

The default imports location is also setup automatically, so you can use SMB to copy local content directly into the existing TV or Movies folders:

1 Like

Never did get it working with Windows 10 but it works great from my Mac.

This was added.

There's SMB support so you should be able to use that. If you prefer NFS I can look into adding that too.

This is available now.

Hard to say but my guess is the Intel CPU will be faster.

1 Like

Nice thanks! Use upgrade button? What's the latest rev? I'm on 2020.10.09.2154 and it's been rock solid for 7+ days now

1 Like

Yes, click-and-hold the Update button. Then a new section and button will appear, and you can do a normal click on that and then click Reboot when it appears.

got it, thanks

With OS v2020.1021.2321 + DVR v2020.10.21.2329, you can now customize the hostname/timezone as well as reboot and shutdown:

1 Like

What's the model number on this drive?

When is it likely that you'll release DVR v2020.10.21.2329 as described?

It is available as a pre-release. You need to click-and-hold the update button to get it.

1 Like