BETA: Channels for Android TV with DVR scheduling features

Ok, I just updated the app and it seems to be working fine now.

However, as a note, if you create a pass it doesn’t seem to automatically respect the padding setting that may have been set globally in the web app. It reverts to “On Time” and you have to manually change it.

Also, the color differentiation when moving around on the buttons is too light to easily notice that you have moved around.

Otherwise, this is awesome so far!

1 Like

In what manner? I updated to Oreo a little earlier and everything seems to be the same functionally to me. My issue posted above was prior to updating to Oreo btw.

I think the app devs may have to do something with their apps if they want it to work with some of the other features on the Home Screen such as the row for up next and things like that.

@jasonmcroy

Thanks for the response. I was hesitating to update Shield to Oreo until playback confirmation for both Channels and Plex. FWIW, I’m haven’t been using the Shield for Channels viewing, only as a Plex Server…primarily for music and db source for Infuse.

My continuing problem is that I have to reboot the shield (2015,16gb) daily to use either as a PMS or Channels DVR (PITA…so have Channels DVR on a NAS). I’d like to change storage for PMS to adopted storage on 128gb micro sd…which is now available on Oreo.

Well, for what it’s worth, I went back to my NAS setup with the DVR. I built my own NAS with openmediavault on what was my HTPC.
I use the Shield exclusively as my front end playback device in the living room and bedroom upstairs.
I also have Emby installed on the NAS and use it within Kodi because it’s more elegant and easier to setup than the Plex connect addon. I use it this way with Kodi because Kodi will auto skip the commercials with the edl file. I also have TV Show rips that don’t have commercials but I can’t play those back in the Channels App so it’s the best of both worlds for me. All my TV Shows and Movie rips in one place.

Anyway, so far playback has been flawless for me both in Kodi, the Channels App, Netflix and Amazon Video. I have been doing a lot of testing today! lol

Anyway, I have no complaints so far…

I've uploaded a new beta build v74 which adds a Search tab, so you can search the upcoming guide and create passes for your favorite shows and teams directly on your Android TV.

Button styles have also been improved.

1 Like

Nice! I will check it out more tomorrow.

I gave beta 74 a try. I was able to schedule a recording.

I also noticed a reproducible crash when deleting a recording. I’ll mail the full client log.

DVR log:
2018/05/25 14:49:35 [DVR] Deleting /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public/ChannelsDvrRecordings/TV/The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon/The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon S05E132 2018-05-18 Sterling K Brown Willie Geist Pete Lee 2018-05-18-2333.mpg

beta74 client log:
05-25 14:49:33.540 28676 28777 E AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: dvr-jsonpipe
05-25 14:49:33.540 28676 28777 E AndroidRuntime: Process: com.getchannels.app, PID: 28676
05-25 14:49:33.540 28676 28777 E AndroidRuntime: e.a.e: Only the original thread that created a view hierarchy can touch its views.

1 Like

Uploaded v77 with a fix.

1 Like

Beta 77 fixes it. Thanks.

1 Like

This seems great so far - a much needed feature and so far, flawless for me. Would it be safe to assume an equivalent update to the Fire TV app is in the works? :grin:

Amazon’s beta testing program is a pain to use, so we generally beta test on the Play Store and then release to both Android and FireTV. So yes, coming soon to FireTV.

The latest beta build adds a Passes tab where you can see all your Series Passes and change their priority.

1 Like

Awesome job guys!

Yes fantastic.

How is everyone liking the DVR support in Android TV so far?

Love it! if this comes to Fire TV I have the perfect setup. Thanks for introducing me @maddox (on HA forums, I am badgerhome by the way)

In the UK Fire TV is one of the few “boxes” that has support for ALL UK TV catchup apps (BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, all4, Demand 5 and UKTV Play) with addition of Channels DVR this is one of the few boxes that does it all.

For me, I also use Plex, Amazon Video, Netflix, Ring Video Doorbell and Alexa (through echos and voice remote) integrated into Home Assistant - So this is a really powerful setup with Channels.

I have one ask for Channels DVR though which I have just mentioned here - Tuner Priority - DVR vs Live

Other things I’d love to see is this integration: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202174250 Live TV Control.

(at the moment I’m doing this using the Channels API using HomeAssistant as the engine which means I have shortcut buttons on my Harmony remote where I can press “BBC1” and channels will launch on 101, also the same for Alexa, I can say “turn on BBC1”, I’ll share a detailed write up on this soon.)

Also would love to see a PIP when browsing the Guide.

I’m loving it so far, it’s the closest I’ve come to TV perfection! Thanks for all your hard work and to @tmm1 who has been very reactive to bugs reported. Amazing support!

1 Like

I think the support here is fantastic. I changed from using the DVR on the Shield back to my NAS temporarily because I am trying to record certain shows to archive with commercials removed. But while I was using it on the Shield the few issues that cropped up were handled quickly enough.

Anyway, as soon as my archival project is complete then I plan to move everything back over to the Shield as most of our regular show recording is watch and delete.

Technically its FireTV but wasnt sure if posting beta93 issues here or in Firetv topic.

Lately, (almost daily) when I turn on the tv at 5pm cst the Channels app does not have the data under guide populated and the data under on now is just names no icons or additional information. I able to force a refresh of the data for both using scan networks. I sent diagnostic info before and after the network scan for you to look at.

Channels 2.0 for Android TV and Fire TV are now officially available on the Amazon/Google stores.

Thanks to everyone who helped us beta test!

Also, if you could take a moment to leave a rating and/or review on the Google Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.getchannels.app), that would be much appreciated.

Congratulations! I noticed over the past week the major changes to the UI on the Shield and it does look incredible!

1 Like