Tuner Priority - DVR vs Live

Is it possible to have different tuner priorities for live TV versus DVR usage?

The reason I ask is that my set-up is distributed: I have an older model HD HomeRun (DUAL) in the living room co-located with the apple-tv and the main TV. However, in the basement (connected via A/C WiFi) I have two newer HD HomeRuns (CONNECT) that are on the same gigabit switch as the DVR server software. So obviously I would like to prefer the models in the basement for recording, and the model near the TV for watching live so as to minimize network traffic (my Plex server is also located in the basement).

Mark W.

Absolutely. In the DVR web admin you can adjust the priority of your tuners in respect to recording. When recording a program, it will respect the order you have set to choose which tuner to record with.

On the Channels app, Apple TV and iOS, you can sort the priority of your tuners in respect to watching live tv. When you pick a channel to watch, it will respect the order you have set to choose which tuner to stream from.

Perfect.

Mark W

And… to add… implied though not explicitly mentioned… With a little creativity you can accommodate some interesting scenarios. You can for example “deselect” a tuner from the ATV or the DVR so that depending on what you consider more important (live or DVR) you can prioritize your setup. For example select devices 1,2,3 (leaving out 4) for the DVR and select devices (2,3,4, leaving out 1) for the ATV which will “reserve” one tuner for each… or select devices (1,2,3,4) for DVR and (3,4 leaving out 1 and 2) for the ATVs which will make it that the DVR always has tuners from devices 1 and 2 available for recording.

Thanks @TeddyR! Yeah its pretty amazing the kind of strategies you can employ with this.

Is it possible to prioritise recordings over live tv, or give users the option just before a tuner clash is due to take place?

For example I have two tuners.

If I am watching live TV on one channel in the app and have two other different channels scheduled to record at the same time, kick the live tv off (or show a pop up warning the live tv viewer in the app and giving them the option to either cancel a recording, switch to the channel live and watch it as it records or cancel the recording so that they can continue to watch the current channel they are tuned to)

In the same way that Sky Satellite TV works...