BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

Anyone try this with spectrumsportsnet.com? In Firefox I can set 720p but with Chrome it only goes up to 576p. Looks like poopies.

Have a question when editing the main.js file do I have restart the docker container? I Install it with the portainer setup.

1 Like

In order for the updates to apply, yes

Ok every time I try to restart the container ot stops working. And I have to delete the container and reinstall from scratch. To get it working again.

using CC4C, is it possible to link/play my Plex Live TV channels along with the Plex tv guide data?

Have you tried this?

deploy stack will do this in portainer. make the real time script change and click deploy stack

I have discovered CC4C today and have come across a few situations.

First, I am hosting Channels on a Shield 2015 on my network, My clients are Shield 2019 pross, Tivo 4k streams, and also AppleTV 4K 2017 models. My CC4C host temporarily a 9th Gen Intel I7 with both Intel and RTX2060 GPU. Both the internal and external displays are 1080p

The deep links i have tryed to websites work well, I also spent some time logging into NBCU, ABC, CBS, SYFY, Bravo, USA , E etc on the android apps. Not sure I need this now but I did it anyways. My TV Provider is spectrum at this time.

Main issues I was having, chopping video: added hardware encode, decode flags in node.js for powershell on Win 11 X64

Border issues: I figured out real quick the issue here is running dual monitor in expand mode, Unless there is a way to force the chrome instance for CC4C to Display 1 or 2, it makes every channel look letter boxes. I began to read and read some more. The issue for me ended up being the zoom size on chrome. I am back to running expanded mode on Windows with display set to 80% zoom in chrome window. Very little choppiness right now and sizing correctly to full screen. MSGolf or Golf still has some issues with sizing, but SYFY, USA, BRAVO, MSNBC, all working ok.

In addition, I have my Asus Router, Channels DVR , and Nest Home channels working as well as streamlinks. I wonder if this is a way to get around Nest recording fee for my doorbell cam. Not sure on that yet,

As best as I can tell, this works very similar to chromecasting a tab from a DRM-enabled website to Channels and enabling recoridng the stream as well. It's a treat since we lost most of the NBC TVE channels. I keep searching for spectrum links for same channels to see differences, Maybe they are less wonky! Still, this is pretty amazing and might solve a few issues on the DVR for some programming we are missing in the dvr duties.

The shield as the DVR is a temp solution, I had major HVAC repairs last month and had to replace an air handler....an unexpected expense at the time. and lost a few drives in my NAS. I am awaiting to pick up some drives and rebuilt the array, but its been a lititle tight this past month. Best thing i could do quickly was use the Shield 2015 for the DVR server. It handles up to about 4 streams maybe 5 before it coughs on the 64bit arm tegra1. I have a nuc and 4th gen i5 i might could move channels too as well, if time permits.

Can I isolate the same channel for recording and guide data from 2 different sources? I have Fox 6002 tve from Fubo, and also Fox 9443 from cc4c. Fubo is higher priority in the sources. Most of the time with Fox tve -I get the FoxSports Banner when try to watch or record and / or SignOff in the guide.. CC4C channel on the other hand works all the time and the guide shows full scheduled programming that works. I choose OTA guide for that one. When I try to record a tve one - it records from the cc4c, but the guide shows it as recording from both. I'd rather record from the tve one as its better quality - if its actually broadcasting on tve.

I think maybe tinkering with the Station ID , or channels-id, number, name etc.. in the cc4c setup could possibly work?

when trying to restart the docker container after making changes to the main.js i get this error in the logs.

04/11/2023 16:13:40 x11vnc version: 0.9.16 lastmod: 2019-01-05 pid: 9
04/11/2023 16:13:40 XOpenDisplay(":99") failed.
04/11/2023 16:13:40 Trying again with XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME=localhost ...

04/11/2023 16:13:40 ***************************************
04/11/2023 16:13:40 *** XOpenDisplay failed (:99)

And cc4c stops working. the only way to get it working again is to delete the container and re install. I have installed with portainer. I tried to stop the stack and restart the stack but it seems to delete the container reinstall it.

If you go into the DVR schedule on the website you can choose which channel to record from.

Are you going into the guide and choosing the specific channel to record? If it's a DVR pass I believe it will default to which source is higher on the list.

Did some testing. Even though it marks both channels queued, it does record from the channel I selected from the web interface, in this case the 6002 tve channel. I'll test the other possible combinations and report back. Thanks.

For anyone whose luck has been hit and miss with the portainer version of cc4c starting up correctly, I believe I have the solution. I suspected a race condition and that appears to be the case. To fix it, change the line in the docker-compose.yaml file which starts Xvfb to be the following:

Xvfb :99 -screen 0 1920x1080x16 &
        while ! xdpyinfo -display :99 >/dev/null 2>&1; do
            echo "Waiting for Xvfb...";
            sleep 1s;
        done;

This causes the startup to wait for Xvfb to be up and ready before continuing.

Now back to trying to fix the stuttering.

I gave this a try and it doesn't seem to be working for me. I pretty much gave up on this project as a whole because I kept having delete the persistent storage and redeploy the container every time I wanted to use it.

When I VNC'd into there was just a black screen and no web browser. The I did the url method and when I did that, my VNC session showed a web page. I did the auth and then tried to play a channel. It took a really long time to play the first channel (and I didnt see the auth page for a few seconds before the channel played like i normally do, just a black screen) and now it wont work anymore
Now i just see Waiting for Xvfb... repeated about 100 times in the logs.

Here is my compose data:

version: '3.9'
services:
  chrome-capture-for-channels:
    image: fancybits/chrome-capture-for-channels:latest
    container_name: cc4channels
    command:
      - sh 
      - -c 
      - |
        Xvfb :99 -screen 0 1920x1080x16 &
        while ! xdpyinfo -display :99 >/dev/null 2>&1; do
            echo "Waiting for Xvfb...";
            sleep 1s;
        done;

x11vnc -display :99 -forever &
        sed -i '/videoBitsPerSecond/c\        videoBitsPerSecond: process.env.VIDEO,' main.js;
        sed -i '/audioBitsPerSecond/c\        audioBitsPerSecond: process.env.AUDIO,' main.js;
        exec node main.js
    #devices:
      #- /dev/dri:/dev/dri # Uncomment for Intel Quick Sync (GPU) access
    networks:
      macvlan-IoT-Network:
          ipv4_address: 192.168.12.31
    environment:
      - VIDEO=9500000
      - AUDIO=192000
      - TZ=America/New_York # Add your timezone in the Environment variables section with "name" set to TZ and "value" to your local timezone
    volumes:
      - data:/home/chrome # Creates persistent Docker Volume in /var/lib/docker/volumes for Chrome data and main.js
    restart: unless-stopped
volumes:
  data:
networks:
  macvlan-IoT-Network:
    external: true    
1 Like

I haven't totally given up on cc4c yet but my intended use is as a backup to ADBTuner/HDMI4c. As I noted, my biggest problem is now the stuttering.

Anyway, as I understand it, you should only see a black screen until you try to stream something. Only then will main.js open the browser window. FWIW, I too have been bitten by a persistent storage issue where Chrome reports my profile as already in use. I suspect that can be fixed by removing the right file(s) at startup.

I compared your docker-compose.yaml file with mine. They are very similar but there are some changes. Mine is identical to the one in the last simpliefied installation instructions except my recent change. Perhaps try restarting from there.

Yeah mine is pretty much identical as well except for I am using different datastore names as well as using a macvlan instead of mapping ports.. The only thing I did was add your changes to that line so I dont know what is going on. I'll probably just scrap this again. The stuttering bothers me too and it likely will never be as good as any other method...

I looked for a verbose option in Xvfb but didn't see one. If you choose to continue, your first problem is finding out why Xvfb doesn't run. I don't know what your development skills are but running Xvfb under strace (or similar) might shed some light on the problem.

Anyone using the xfinity stream URLs?

Anyway to bypass the guide and load the stream directly?

Does each network have it's own URL without epg info?
Here's what the stream URLs look like. "https://www.xfinity.com/stream/live/Watch-In-Search-of-Your-Super-Power/8713109229817176105/WPBFD"

You can use this same URL days later and it will bring up the same network. I just don't know if there's a limit on how long the URL would still work. I tried parsing it all different ways with no luck.

You can shorten the URL by replacing the Title with the Channel name that is how I use it in ADBTuner

Example ...

https://www.xfinity.com/stream/live/HBOHW/5232923399725817105/HBOHW

Fantastic! Thanks.