BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

can we have it pull from gpu?

1 Like

yep. It's definitely working on MacOS. BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels - #8 by tmm1

Linux I am not entirely sure of just yet.

2 Likes

do you have to configure it differently? I am using a pc.

1 Like

Try the latest changes (git pull then node main.js again)

3 Likes

This could be added easily I think. Do you have a web page in mind that would need it?

2 Likes

Still same error, and trying to tune an NBC network generates this error, which wasn't present before:

failed to stream undefined ProtocolError: Protocol error (Page.navigate): Invalid parameters Failed to deserialize params.url - BINDINGS: mandatory field missing at position 50
    at new Callback (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Connection.js:62:35)
    at CallbackRegistry.create (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Connection.js:108:26)
    at Connection._rawSend (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Connection.js:224:26)
    at CDPSessionImpl.send (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Connection.js:433:78)
    at navigate (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Frame.js:100:47)
    at Frame.goto (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Frame.js:78:13)
    at CDPPage.goto (/home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/node_modules/puppeteer-core/lib/cjs/puppeteer/common/Page.js:444:39)
    at /home/david/chrome-capture-for-channels/main.js:170:18
    at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)

3 Likes

What version of chrome? sounds like its incompatible, I'm guessing its too old.

It was Chrome 114. I tried 115 and I don't get that error anymore, and am able to login to Google. I will continue testing to see if I can get it fully working.

4 Likes

FYI, on my Windows 11, I was running these commands in a PowerShell terminal. Everything was working fine until "npm install":

PS C:\Users\mjitk\chrome-capture-for-channels> npm install
npm : The term 'npm' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ npm install
+ ~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (npm:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

PS C:\Users\mjitk\chrome-capture-for-channels>

Then I opened a regular cmd terminal window and it worked there:

C:\Users\mjitk>cd chrome-capture-for-channels

C:\Users\mjitk\chrome-capture-for-channels>npm install

added 264 packages, and audited 265 packages in 14s

30 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details

found 0 vulnerabilities
npm notice
npm notice New minor version of npm available! 9.6.7 -> 9.7.1
npm notice Changelog: https://github.com/npm/cli/releases/tag/v9.7.1
npm notice Run npm install -g [email protected] to update!
npm notice

C:\Users\mjitk\chrome-capture-for-channels>

I'm posting this in case it happens to somebody else.

3 Likes

Probably you need to open a new powershell window after the winget commands.

FYI I am also working on building exe files which can be downloaded and used directly for simplicity.

6 Likes

isn't cnbc the new channel

4 Likes

Thanks for adding this great feature. Unfortunately I must have something set up incorrectly. The channel keeps trying to reconnect and then says it lost connection to the tuner. This is my setting:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="weatherscan", Weatherscan
chrome://127.0.0.1:5589/stream/weatherscan

2 Likes

This is great! Appreciate the work here!
I too am getting some issues with window sizing:

First one is from NBC - lot of black around plus vertical scroll bar

Second is one I added for Boomerang via Hulu (and occurring on any Hulu URL I've added):

EDIT: As far as NBC goes - looks like this may be related to the display resolution of the VM I was using - adjusted to a higher resolution and that eliminated most (not all) of the black border, but still have the vertical scroll bar. Hulu however still appears the same

1 Like

Yes. It was spelled “cBNC” in the code instead of “cNBC”

3 Likes

I've published a Docker that uses Xvfb:

docker run -d --name chrome-capture -p 5589:5589 fancybits/chrome-capture-for-channels

Note that there's no way to interact with the browser right now so you won't be able to login. It works with weatherscan though

3 Likes

Ok, got everything setup, but what do I put in the field for the epg guide data when setting this up in the channels interface?

1 Like

Nothing. There's no EPG

4 Likes

You have to map it after it is setup in channels.

1 Like

Can you screenshot what the source chrome window looks like?

2 Likes