BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

Same here, set to 60fps but only getting 30fps in Channels. I'm using YTTV as the source for capturing.

The only other issue I have is when I watch a recorded show, I am unable to fast forward or rewind. Channels client tries, but either jumps back to the point I pressed FF or RW, or worse yet, starts the show from the beginning with no way to fast forward.

Building an upgraded PC for Channels and CC4C I have manually instaled Chrome 114 BUT no matter what i try it auto updates it self I have everything Google related disabled ,unchecked etc etc any ideas or is 115 stable now??

115 is still broken...

edit: fwiw i also tested 116 beta and modified main.js to look at the beta path, also broken.

Here's a link how I disabled Chrome updates on my CC4C machine. I followed #1, and renamed the Googleupdate.exe file.

Lol......I was actually looking at this when u replied so TU ...... seems like Chrome adds a few Googleupdate.exe in various spots.

seems to be locked to 114 now

Thanks

Honestly, I would try to mess around with adb and scrcpy than to try to use this on that.

Alternatively, using an HDMI tuner and one of the 2 the HDMI tools here is a bit better than that in order to maintain your sanity :smiley:

1 Like

ok new "issue" got the newer pc running etc and yup NO stuttering in CC4C solid pic etc
BUT if i use the 4k hdmi dummy plug on 1 video output I cant get video on second output to the tv itself BUT using the dummy plug i get NO borders
If i use 1 video out to my tv at 3840x2160 I get the borders on the cc4c BUT i can see the PC screen on the TV
i feel like ive tried quite abit of swapping , settings etc
Any ideas from this group of smart people since I only stayed at a holiday inn express so i be a novice....lol

That is the only issue I am having as well. Can't FF or Rewind on recordings, but it does skip commercials.

I can watch my local NBC station (WNBC) live via Peacock. This hack works well using the static URLs on Peacock but it loads everything muted. Is there a way to force unmute using this?

I tried using the guide to tune into different channels in the Spectrum site but am not seeing the tmsid. Can you let me know how you are seeing the tmsid for a channel?
Thanks

You need to start a show on the channel you want and the tmsid will show in your address line.

The address that shows is just the generic watch.spectrumtv. It doesn’t show a tmsid. I wasn’t sure if there was a way to show the full link since it seems like it is being masked.

This is what I get while watching TBS, //watch.spectrum.net/livetv?tmsid=67890. But I had to click on the "Watch Live" button to start the show first.

I click live tv and tune into a channel and my link never changes. It is always watch.spectrum.net/livetv.

2 Likes

Interesting. What browser are you using? Try it in Chrome to see if the URL updates for you on the address bar. If not, you may have to delve into your browser's developer tools to see what the URL actually is. For example, on Chrome, you can go View > Developer > JavaScript Console, then enter "window.location" into the console to see the URL including the tmsid parameter.

Incidentally, I looked for a universal list of those tmsids, but it was... elusive. :slight_smile:

Ok, instead of clicking on Live TV, click on Guide. Then find a program to watch in the guide, click on it, then scroll down and click on Watch Live button. Then you should see the tmsid.

3 Likes

Just installed Mint Linux on an Intel NUC. Trying to get this installed but when I install based off the GitGHub instructions for Docker, I get the following:

$ docker run -d --name chrome-capture -p 5589:5589 fancybits/chrome-capture-for-channels
docker: 
Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Post "http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.24/containers/create?name=chrome-capture": dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied.
See 'docker run --help'.

I tried to do a search through this thread, but with 776 posts and counting, the search feature isn't really helping me see if there's a solution buried in here somewhere.

Linux Mint is pretty locked down, since it's intended to be a desktop OS -- not sure if this is the issue, but it very well might be. You might want to consider installing Debian itself, without any desktop environment, and then install Docker. Add Portainer, Cockpit and Cockpit-Navigator and you'll have a very nice WebUI-based setup.

If you decide to go that route, here's a docker compose I'm using in Portainer-Stacks that supports setting your bitrates as an environment variable. Also, you can connect to this container using VNC to enter credentials and such:

version: '3.9'
services:
  chrome-capture-for-channels:
    image: fancybits/chrome-capture-for-channels:latest
    container_name: cc4channels
    command:
      - sh 
      - -c 
      - |
        Xvfb :99 -screen 0 1920x1080x16 &
        x11vnc -display :99 -forever &
        sed -i '/videoBitsPerSecond/c\        videoBitsPerSecond: process.env.VIDEO,' main.js;
        sed -i '/audioBitsPerSecond/c\        audioBitsPerSecond: process.env.AUDIO,' main.js;
        exec node main.js
    #devices:
      #- /dev/dri:/dev/dri # Uncomment for Intel Quick Sync (GPU) access
    ports:
      - 5589:5589 # cc4channels proxy port
      - 5900:5900 # VNC port for entering credentials
    environment:
      - VIDEO=${VIDEO}
      - AUDIO=${AUDIO}
      - TZ=${TZ} # Add your timezone in the Environment variables section with "name" set to TZ and "value" to your local timezone
    volumes:
      - cc4channels:/home/chrome # Creates persistent Docker Volume in /var/lib/docker/volumes for Chrome data and main.js
    restart: unless-stopped
volumes:
  cc4channels:
1 Like

Try sudo in front of the command.

:crazy_face:

Sometimes it's the most obvious things that are the easiest missed.