BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

I'm trying to use CC4C with Spectrum in a Proxmox VM using the prebuilt, Windows exe. It works fairly well except for some slight stuttering. I've tried reading this entire thread for couldn't find a definitive solution. The Proxmox server should be more than powerful enough to run CC4C. What should I look at changing? I'm using the default display in the VM. Would using a different, virtual display help? Or should I try to setting up a passthrough GPU and, if so, how powerful would it need to be? All I currently have available is something on the order by a GT730.

@istwok Passing thru a GPU could help, although I recall someone earlier in this thread, having issues running CC4C on a VM. That said, I'm not sure a GT730 would be much help, I don't think that GPU has an nvenc hardware encoder in it. I'm currently running an i7-8700 and an old GTX1050, and it's offloading a good amount from the CPU. I'm able to have 4 streams from this dedicated machine, and not max it out.

You could also try diabling vsync in the main.js file, but you will need to rebuild a new exe after editing the main.js file. I have not gotten around to seeing if disabling vsync is helpful, or not.

[quote="gill, post:684, topic:36667, full:true"]
Here's my code. This code below starts at about line 41 for me. Only thing I added was that --disable-gpu-vsync flag:

executablePath: getExecutablePath(),
        defaultViewport: null, // no viewport emulation
        userDataDir: path.join(dataDir, 'chromedata'),
        args: [
	  '--disable-gpu-vsync',
          '--disable-notifications',
          '--no-first-run',
          '--disable-infobars',
          '--hide-crash-restore-bubble',
          '--disable-blink-features=AutomationControlled',
          '--hide-scrollbars',
        ],

@sheepy, thanks. The GT 730 and a GT 430 and a Radeon HD 6450 are just what I have spare. If I put this in production, I could get something like a GT 1050 if that would help. I would hope an R7 3700x could handle encoding one stream for testing. FWIW, my production, Proxmox server has an R9 5900x.

Also, I just noticed the vdeo frame rate is 30fps. I don't recall seeing that mentioned before but I assumed it was 60fps. Is 60fps feasible with CC4C with or without a dedicated GPU? Or should I start focusing on the HDMI capture thread instead? My primary intended use for this solution is for sports where 60fps is highly desirable.

We had a power outage during the day yesterday. When the power came back on, the Mac Mini booted up and Chrome updated to 115. I was having the same issues as others have shared.

I was able to delete Chrome completely, downgrade to 114, and then turned off automatic updates in Chrome. With that I was back in business.

Hmm, the frame rate I'm seeing on a test recording right now accroding to mpv is in the neighborhood of ~37fps. Such a variable and non-standard frame rate would explain the stuttering. Could that be the result of my CPU encoding not being as beefy as I thought?

I would assume a Ryzen 7 3700X would be plenty to encode a stream, all in CPU. I'm currently recording the Brewers/Rockies game from Bally Sports, and the frame rate that Channels reports is 30 fps. It would be nice if CC4C could support 60 fps. Obviously, it depends on the source stream, as well. My sports playback is pretty smooth, with a slight judder every so often. I've been meaning to try the vsync disable command, to see if that helps, but have not had the time.

1 Like

I checked a couple of channels directly from Fubo, in Chrome, and the frame rate is 59 fps. I wonder if there is a way to force CC4C to capture at 60 fps?

I'm testing with Bally Sports too, but Ranger/A's. Spectrum is going 720p60 on al lHD, at least here in DFW after the high split, so that's what I was expecting. That doesn't mean the network streams are 60fps, though. Spectrum took away my cablecard so I need a good solution for Bally Sports before hockey season starts. That is, of course, if BS even still has NHL rights by then.

1 Like

Are there any step by step instructions for how to edit the code and compile your own exe file for Windows? This thread is getting really long and hard to find relevant info if it's posted earlier. I found someone posting earlier asking for help on simple things for some of you like how to download the files from GitHub. I can use those instructions too if the step by step instructions can start with something like that, would be great! Thanks

@augie0041 Follow the link in the first post of this thread, to the github for CC4C. Then down on that page, there is a "development" section. You can follow those steps to be able to run a modified main.js file. The main.js file can be edited in a simple text editor. I have not built my modified file back into an exe, so I'm unable to give you steps to do that. I'm assuming a Google search will yield a "how to" build a js file into an exe.

No need to build the exe, clone the repo and run node main.js

Not to mention that it won't build correctly on Windows anyway. It builds the mac version and that's it because it errors out. Just run 'node main.js', that's all the exe does.

I reported up thread that I don't get anything more than 30 FPS, so the min framerate variable is being ignored or the Chrome encoder can't handle it.

I'm trying to get this to work with NFL+ for NFL Network. I'm a bit confused what to put in to get the guide data, might this be it?: #EXTINF:-1 channel-id="NFL",NFL Network

Anyone discovered why Apple TV or TS4K won’t pause or rewind Chrome Capture Channels? It would seem it should behave as other streams such as Pluto, Frndly…etc. I have tried this on both NBC and Spectrum. Streams seem reliable. Thanks.

Follow the directions from above [Step 3, Part 3, later paragraph]:

Then do Step 4 to map stations.

Thank you

1 Like

Has anyone figured out a solution to not being able to fast forward / rewind / seek? I've gotten everything working otherwise on my M2 Mac Mini. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry, can't say I've ever seen that issue on a Channels client.

1 Like

@sheepy You are using chrome capture for channels and aren't seeing this issue? I'm only seeing this happen with channels coming through Chrome Capture for Channels. TV Everywhere channels fast forward / rewind / seek just fine.

Edit: I downgraded Chrome to version 114.0.5735.90 and am no longer having any issues! Nearly 800 messages in this thread. It was a slog to find this.

@greanleaf, glad to hear you found a solution. I bumped into the Chrome 115 issue a while back. But, in my case it stopped working entirely. Interesting that you were still able to capture, but lost the ability to seek within the file.

1 Like