BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

So it can be a seperate pc, as long as its on the same network? or even out of network.

1 Like

How do you pull the EPG from the cable provider?

There are a good set of instructions earlier in this post. Click the down arrow on #4 to see how to map the EPG.

It wont work for directv stream though it seems. At least for anyone yet. Maybe there is another method that can be used that works better

2 Likes

Yes I know about it, something to think about. Would using a ghost mouse curser potentially be a solution?

Could you just have the app capture whatever the link is in normal chrome? Why does it have to use a basic chrome browser - can I copy cookies or my appdata to it so it will keep me logged in? It won't login to my spectrum. My spectrum works fine on chrome but the chrome:// makes me have to login every time. Can I copy cookies to it somehow?

Does it make it open in a new window?

Is there no way to just make it use a new tab or at least use the same cookies/saved logins as the normal chrome browser, or can that appdata be shared by the method that uses the chrome://(website) addon

What system are you running CC4C on? I have a separate, old Windows 11 machine running CC4C. I'm using Fubo urls, and after the initial log in, it has never asked me again. I started using CC4C back in June and it records a baseball game almost everyday, without issue.

Also, the Chrome browser that is opened in CC4C does open new tabs for me, when multiple channels are recording at the same time.

I know this is not a Spectrum example, but hopefully someone else using Spectrum can weigh in?

1 Like

I appreciate the help, I am using a login away from home, and I guess you can call it the legal gray area, but it works on chrome, just not the windows it pops up on . I just want it to open a new tab in my already cookied and logged in browser. What can I do to manipulate my appdata for this to work in the stripped down browser?

Could this app not just link to shortcuts like WeatherChannel and run them in normal browser, or a ghostmouse macro thing that could load up directvstream and allow it to record?

Also, does anyone know how to add prime video to channels (like nfl games)

Interesting. The effects of doing it that way, are beyond my knowledge. :rofl:

@tmm1 I'm giving this a try on my Intel Macbook pro, it's an older model but pretty beefy. I tested with the weatherscan.net feed as well as USA network. The weatherscan feed plays fine without issue. USA will error out when I try to play it, I try again and it works. The the problem is that it plays fine for about 5 minutes and then suddenly the video freezes and the audio keeps playing. It never recovers. I looked at activity monitor and my CPU is about 10%. Any idea what could cause this?

1 Like

Stanford has this research project called Puffer. They broadcast all SF Bay Area channels on their site for free. I was wondering if Chrome Capture has a way to capture the Live TV stream? I created this M3U playlist below. I am able to bring up the site when logged in but I am not sure how to get to the specific stream without going to my server and clicking on the channel and making it full screen.

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="FOX Local" tvc-guide-stationid="19571",FOX Local (KTVU)
chrome://localhost:5589/stream?url=https://puffer.stanford.edu/player/

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="NBC Local" tvc-guide-stationid="10991",NBC Local (KNTV)

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="CBS Local" tvc-guide-stationid="10098",CBS Local (KPIX)

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="ABC Local" tvc-guide-stationid="10003",ABC Local (KGO)

1 Like

Each local channel needs a unique url, that will go directly to the stream for that channel. Otherwise, you would need to interact with the site to click on the stream you want. It seems that Channels is doing exactly what you are telling it to do. Go to "http://puffer.stanford.edu/player/"

What is the url after you click on an specific station? Try to enter that url into your EXTM3U code.

Any way to dumb this down, or any plans to create a program that could install everything on it's own? I'd love to add this feature to Channels, but I'm new to Mac, and totally unfamiliar with working with the file system and the terminal, so I couldn't get past step 2.

I struggled to even create the plist file. It took me 10 mins to figure out that I needed to change my security settings to allow a file to even be added to that folder, and then I still didn't manage to created it the correct way. Sorry, I'm sure I'm just dumb because your notes are very detailed.

I wish there was a youtube video of someone working through all the steps, so I could more easily follow along, but I know that's a big ask. So I guess I'll just bide my time and hope this feature becomes more mainstream and automated in the future because I'm way out of my depth.

I don't have any experience on Mac. But, if you are more familiar with Windows, there is an .exe file that can be run on Windows, on the github page. The hardest part about running this on Windows is setting up a task to run the exe every time the you reboot the machine. Obviously, you would need a PC to dedicate to running CC4C, though.

1 Like

Can you allow a ghostmouse script/macro to run so that directvstream could work? I can show a demonstration if you like.

2 Likes

Create shortcut and put that in the startup folder.

Source code here may help.

1 Like

I am much more familiar with Windows, but I'm not a coder so I'd still likely struggle with the procedure there as well. It doesn't matter though because I already moved the Channels server off my old Windows machine to my M2 Mac, so I'm kind of committed to learning MacOS.