BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

I'm not sure how the encoding works on the backend, but probably a GPU with hardware h264 encoding would be helpful. I think modern integrated CPUs have h264 encoders but but not sure, I'm more familiar with dedicated GPUs. I get a decent 60 FPS (doesn't seem 100% stable but needs more testing). When I start the stream, my GPU fan spins up so I believe it's using the GPU to encode the stream. My GPU is a RX6600XT which is certainly overkill for this use (I may put together a spare PC with a GTX 650 I have lying around and see how that works).

well done.

I use a 1070 and pagefile (havent tricked out windows 10 with all the tweaks, but I get a few dropped frames)

1 Like

Thank you! I had to delete both the container as well as the image, then it pulled a fresh copy and worked cleanly.

Chrome Version 118.0.5993.71 (Official Build) (64-bit) appears to not work with CC4C. We are back to windowed video. Anyone else seeing this before I blow out my CC4C PC?

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up. I turned off updates at version 114, so cannot say.

1 Like

Same here, I don't use Chrome for browsing on the server so disabled updates at 114 and probably won't look back.

I'm still working with that version, at least in Windows using the NBC links.

I found if I force fullscreen in Chrome and leave it, all is well. Still not able to use YTTV with Chrome. It won't allow a login when using CC4C. Good luck!

You have to add the full screen code to main.js. I posted it a while back

Has anyone successfully been able to login with their credentials if CC4C is installed using docker?

I tried the debug method suggested by @babsonnexus in BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels - #130 by babsonnexus. It was painfully slow and ultimately unsuccesfull.

I also tried the x11vnc method suggested @KompilerDJ in BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels - #85 by KompilerDJ. I was able to launch the an x11vnc server in docker, but was not able to connect to the server using any vnc viewers/client.

Note I also tried launching CC4C directly using node, but the transcoding rate was so low the videos were choppy. The videos I have been able to play using the docker method were much smoother.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Check the installation instructions above again for the updated directions using Portainer Stack instead of regular command lines. It will work for you much better, promise!

is this better than node.js? How many streams can you do? I did 3 in node.

Done; thank you. I had done it in Portainer, but skipped over the RealVNC part.

IMHO the stream quality is much much better. I am unsure how many streams though.

Can you make a video on what to do, I am a bit lost. I found graphics settings

and increasing page file helped me a ton! That may help you even more.

Better, worse--these are all subjective assessments. It depends upon your hardware, your network, you comfort level with certain technical tasks, etcetera. What is best is the way a specific individual responds.

I am running a QNAP NAS. I don't fully understand how this is setup.

Should I be installing a docker container (does it have to be on my QNAP)? or can I just run a separate Windows machine to make this happen (or even a virtual machine) on my local network?

I've updated the directions above to make it clearer which path you should be following, as well as adding details for Node installations.

However, after doing a Node installation myself, I get this error every time I launch a station:

Anyone have any insight on what this is about? None of the top level searches returned anything useful, and that directory doesn't even exist. Also, when I went back to regular executable mode, the error disappeared, so seems specific to Node mode.

@babsonnexus, never seen that error before. I run CC4C from node, because I've modified the main.js file. My "chromedata" folder is is the same folder as the main.js and other files. Maybe because it's in the system32 directory, it doesn't have the permission to create it?