BETA: Chrome Capture for Channels

Not that I'm aware of, but I'd be all over this. I've started to look at headless Chromium with the intent of running it on Ubuntu, but I'm a toddler learning how to walk. It'll take a while.

Curious if anyone else is experiencing the following problem. When I try to open a CC4C channel on one of my clients, whether it's my iPhone, android tablet, or Firestick, CC4C will launch the channel on my Channels server PC, but on the client I constantly keep getting a message of "Connection Lost (-17) Timeout after 32s". What's even weirder is, my server PC will show the stats under the status activity as though the channel is playing, but there is definitely nothing showing up on the client other than a timeout message or connection lost. I have the latest server version installed on the PC. And here's an example of what shows up in my log:
2023/12/18 13:23:57.113188 [TNR] Opened connection to M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels for ch1.12 Oxygen (West)
2023/12/18 13:24:35.969277 [TNR] Sharing existing connection to M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels for ch1.12 Oxygen (West) (clients=2, len=0)
2023/12/18 13:25:57.134466 [TNR] Cancelling stream M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels ch1.12 after no data was received for 2m0s
2023/12/18 13:25:57.134466 [ERR] Error during stream M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels ch1.12 Oxygen (West): read |0: file already closed
2023/12/18 13:25:57.134466 [TNR] Closed connection to M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels for ch1.12 Oxygen (West)

Just hoping someone else out there maybe has experienced this same thing and knows what to do to fix it. Thanks for any help one may be able to provide!

Is CC4C on the same PC as the DVR? Sounds like a network issue between the DVR and the CC4C server

1 Like

Yes…CC4C and the server software are both on the same PC. I’ve been successfully using it since I first installed CC4C at the end of August so this is the first time running into this issue.

Not sure. Reboot?

2 Likes

I'll try rebooting everything...PC and router...and will let you know what happens. In the meantime, I happened to notice a few new error messages in the log as well...something tied into ffmpeg it seems...not sure if this says something?:

2023/12/18 15:39:31.319372 [TNR] Opened connection to M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels for ch1.16 USA (West)
2023/12/18 15:40:02.416522 [HLS] ffmpeg: chrome-USA (West): [http @ 0000000000e838c0] HTTP error 500 Internal Server Error
2023/12/18 15:40:02.416522 [HLS] ffmpeg: chrome-USA (West): http://localhost:5589/stream/usap: Server returned 5XX Server Error reply
2023/12/18 15:40:02.431805 [ERR] Error during stream M3U-ChromeCaptureforChannels ch1.16 USA (West): exit status 1

Reboot seemed to fix it! So funny how that’s all it takes sometimes. But everything is working like normal again. One of those weird little brief issues I guess. Thanks again for your help!

2 Likes

I'm in over my head. I've been looking at ways to do a headless Chrome video stream in Ubuntu and it seems like it would be possible (maybe that's how the tool is already working) but I'm getting lost in the talk about Node and Puppeteer, without any idea if it's really necessary. For instance:

I'm not a programmer, and while I might be able to cobble this together, there's no chance it would be ready for distribution. Would anyone be interested in working with me to build this out? Perfectly fine if the answer is no. I appreciate all the work that's gone into this already!

My goal is to have an Ubuntu VM that can act as the stream source. Headless or not, using xfvb or headless Chrome, doesn't matter. I'd just like to have a VM that doesn't require Windows or MacOS. Something that's acting much more like a dedicated server.

Anyway, I thought it wouldn't hurt to put it out there and I'm ok with y'all telling me to go pound sand.

Thanks!

Correct. Just run cc4c on Linux if you want

Run the Mac install without the Brew part? Do I still need an X environment for that? I guess the Docker has all the required bits built into it?

All you need is to run the docker container.

1 Like

Did we ever get a definitive solution to the “This browser or app may not be secure. Learn more
Try using a different browser. If you’re already using a supported browser, you can try again to sign in.”

I’ve been running on a Windows PC for months, and it works. I try moving to a newer PC, and I get the above message.

I’ve tried the following:

1. Downgraded chrome to 114
  2. Turned off updates.
  3. Hit the refresh a bunch of times.
  4. Turned JavaScript off, and back on.

On this machine, I can use YTTV with Chrome, just not with CC4C. Weird!

Once I figured out how to install a non-CA container in Unraid it worked perfectly. Started with pillarboxing but sorted itself out after a few minutes without intervention. Honors the URL switches just fine. I'm running a Grafana dashboard at 1080P on a 4K TV for testing and it fills out the screen exactly as expected. It does seem to be putting a little bit of a hurt on the Unraid CPU. I'll have to think about how I manage that.

I'm watching the stats and the "Size" is increasing. I've never watched stats for other channels. Is this normal for live viewing? Where is that space getting used? Inside the container? I'm probably going to put the Grafana dashboard on a full time stream.

Also, I specified in the URL that the dashboard is 1080p, but I didn't specify a resolution on the ADS-B site I'm also testing with. The ADS-B site has a native resolution of 1080p instead of the 4k scaled resolution. Is that something I can adjust?

Again, thank you so much for putting this together!

After updating cdvr to the latest and ccc4 linux yesterday things that recorded - or try to watch live thru the web browser have no sound. I hear a very quick audible garb - then no sound at all. Tried rebooting everything just now - same results. Same setup - no hardware changes.
Ideas on where to start?

1 Like

Still playing with the sound issue from above while waiting for my encoder. Setup a New Windows pc, latest ccc and the same no sound issue. Even rolled backup the dvr to 12/18 version - no change. All normal tve channels work fine, just all the ccc channels, which I also built from scratch again. More of a FYI at this point...

1 Like

Ever find a solution to this? Facing the same issue

No I haven't. Troubleshooted it as narrow as possible for my skill set.
From the cc4c pc, I can stream the link in a regular Chrome & incognito window and play sound perfectly. Just not with chrome extension version that the drv opens....

1 Like

Is there a troubleshooting guide for this somewhere within the thread? I had this working for a bunch of NBC channels 6 months ago, but now I just get the connection to the tuner was lost message. I've tried redownloading the latest version of Chrome Capture for Mac, but I just get "listening on the port."

1 Like

Thanks unfortunately read the common issues from one of those threads and there wasn’t a match. I also followed all update instructions as listed. I can’t get chrome to pop up at all when it’s running so maybe I just don’t have the tech background for this.

2 Likes