BETA: Custom Channels via M3U Playlists

The day before yesterday I got an email from Pluto about some new channels, among which is Showtime Selects. I found it and watched it a bit (in Channels DVR) and it had some pretty good content with no commercials. So I favorited the channel and even set a couple things to record. Everything worked very well. However, the channel completely disappeared the next day. I can still find it when I log into Pluto. I don't know if this could be an issue on our end or not but thought I would report it.

1 Like

I am seeing the same issue here. The channel is still live on Pluto. Not sure where the issue is.

1 Like

I just checked.....it's not in the guide json we're pulling from pluto, so it's something on their end.
I saw it too....the number of channels jumped up to 298 for a day, then fell back to 293.

3 Likes

Glad it’s not just me. I had favorited Showtime Select and it disappeared. I was refreshing the xml trying to figure out what had happened.

3 Likes

Finally got this up and running and it’s great. Thanks!

I'm delighted to have this new feature working (almost) perfectly. And my TV Guide works great (using epg123 with Schedules Direct).
However, I have one annoying issue - my m3u file is generated from my remote computer that has a DVB-S DUAL tuner. I thought that my m3u file would allow me to access both tuners simultaneously. But I don't appear to be able to record one channel and, at the same time, watch another. Is this a m3u limitation or do I need to do something else to make this work?

Is this an HDHomeRun Dual? Or do you mean some other type of tuner? (I didn't think any HDHR supported DVB-S.)

If it's another type of tuner, how is it being managed/shared on your network? Sounds like it might be a limitation of whatever software is serving the feeds in your playlist.

What exactly happens when you try to use more than one tuner?

Is there a way to get this working on Unraid?

Dumb question - Has the tuner in question been added as a source in Channels?

It's a Hauppauge HVR5525. I use NextPVR as the server and get the m3u playlist from that.

No. It's m3u has been added as a playlist. I don't believe that a Hauppauge tuner can be added directly (it would be great if I could as this would allow me to avoid using the m3u file as a workaround)

Sounds like it's an issue with NextPVR and how it is handling the request via URL. Have you checked in their forums?

1 Like

If you open VLC and paste two of the channel urls from your M3U, does it play both at the same time?

1 Like

I got it running. No idea if it's right, but it's working. Here are my settings if anyone wants to emulate it on their unraid.

1 Like

This looks really nice!

1 Like

@maddox that docker project with the extended guide data is really slick - sadly I don't use docker and since my setup is working well, I'd rather not. Is there a way to get that same robust EPG in XML format without using docker?

What platform? To be run on the same system as the DVR server?

PC, to be run on the same server as the channels server.

Or could I simply go into the standard XML file and add the appropriate extended tags?