Beta: Downloads and Offline Playback

I was able to download over 5G, just so you're aware. I do have the "Data Mode" option set to Allow More Data on 5G so maybe that's why? I prefer to have the ability to download over cellular for sure.

Update: I tried it on Standard "Data Mode", force closed the app, then relaunched and it still allowed me to download.

1 Like

So excited!

Is there any hope for a server-side transcode to h.264/HEVC to speed up downloads and reduce data usage?

2 Likes

WOW - and I'm leaving on my first trip in eons next week. YYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSS :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@billyjoe could you submit diagnostics from the app? I'd like to understand what's going on there.

@eric Submitted

In our tests on home WiFi, we found that the download speeds are surprisingly fast. Most hardware transcoders we've seen aren't able to encode much faster than 2x realtime, which would mean for a 60 minute show, it would take 30 minutes to download. We've found downloading at Original quality happens much faster than that.

We're definitely going to look at how we can provide a transcoded download in the future to reduce the storage requirements on the device (and make it faster to download from hotel WiFi, etc), but it will definitely be slower to download as a result.

1 Like

Thanks, @billyjoe. I got the diagnostics and am trying to understand why it didn't stop the download as soon as it noticed the cellular.

For this initial release, we're going to be trying hard to not do any cellular downloads to prevent accidentally using up peoples data plans. Once we are sure we have that solid, we'll work out a strategy to allow people to override it on a download-by-download basis.

3 Likes

@eric I understand, Wi-Fi only definitely seems like the reasonable default. Let me know if you’d like me to test again.

Yeah, you're right of course. But I was thinking more along the lines of an [optional] transcode right after record, rather than storing in the original format. It would take less disk space on the server, and make for faster transfers.

This is an entirely different feature that would be outside the scope of Downloads. It's something we'd like to do, but it would be something that would just be on its own that Downloads would benefit from.

7 Likes

Absolutely fantastic!! I’ve been waiting for this feature. Keep up the phenomenal work Devs.

3 Likes

Dvr server Version 2021.11.01.0011 Ubuntu 20
iPhone 12 TestFlight 11.3.1700
What am I missing? I’m not seeing any download buttons or options

Good stuff! Im glad to see the ability to download finally arrive. It does seem to download pretty quickly as well.

I did notice one problem in a quick test. I selected a movie from my library that is there as a streamline and the download option is available for that selection. It did fail to download but ideally it wouldn't present the download option for streamlines.

Wrong TestFlight version; you need 11.4.1830 or later.

1 Like

That’s was it. Thank you

I'll check this out. The button should be hidden for Stream Links.

This is awesome. Leaving on a trip Saturday and was about to start manually copying stuff when I saw this. Thanks!

1 Like

Submitted diagnostics for additional downloads over cellular. I also had a channels has crashed pop up with a crash. I was in airplane mode at that time and couldn’t submit during pop up

Can't wait to go home and try this! Been blown away by the amount of features your team has been releasing the past few weeks! Would be great to have an auto-delete option after a certain amount of time (I forget to delete files like this after a trip).

Also your screenshot still has the "Settings" options on the bottom menu instead of the "About." RIP settings option, wish that was still there!

1 Like

Lol, it sounds like you locked your app into Kiosk mode.