BETA: Imported Content Extras (Trailers & Subtitles)

@tmm1 Subtitles works great now and I don't have to rename the srt files :slight_smile:
I am having one slight issue. When I place the srt in the same folder as the video file in the imports directory it is not deleted when I delete the video from the channels UI. The end result is that I have a lot of orphaned directories that just contain an srt since channels deleted the video. Would it be possible when Channels deletes show_name.mp4 to also delete show_name*.srt?

I could build a cron job to look for orphaned srt's and delete them but I thought I would mention this in case it was an easy enhancement to do.
Thanks!

1 Like

@tmm1 I have a script that I run to download srt files, syncs them to the video and then copies both files to the Channels server. What I am finding is that the srt files sometimes show up in channels and sometimes they don't. Is there something I need to run to force Channels to look for srt's?

In the example below I have the files in the directory and then the screenshot from channels. I tried refreshing metadata but that didn't pick them up either. I can upload these to you if that is of any value

FYI both the video and the srt files in these examples were uploaded at the same time to the channels server. After about 5 minutes I saw the video show up in "TV Shows"

-rwxrwxr-x 1 seth seth     67112 Oct 24 14:52 'The Rookie - S05E02 - Labor Day.eng.srt'
-rwxrwxr-x 1 seth seth 289159875 Oct 24 14:50 'The Rookie - S05E02 - Labor Day.mkv'

Here is one that did work fine, you can see in Channels that track 2 is listed as subrip subtitle.

-rwxrwxr-x 1 seth seth      48337 Oct 23 19:28 'Dark Winds - S01E02 - The Male Rain Approaches.eng.srt'
-rwxrwxr-x 1 seth seth 3324461074 Oct 23 19:27 'Dark Winds - S01E02 - The Male Rain Approaches.mkv'

View Details screen does not show srt files. In your second screenshot there is already a subtitle track built into the mkv file and that's what is being shown.

@tmm1 How do I select the external srt file? Usually I select Track 2 to show the ones I downloaded. I can tell it is the one that I added because it is more in sync and more accurate than track 1.

As a test I copied the second file out of the directory, deleted it and added it back. I see that the details screen looks the same so maybe for that file my srt was never imported? When I deleted it the srt remained and was not deleted. Maybe that is evidence that it was never processed?

I guess my question is how can I verify that the srt was processed and how to I confirm I am selecting the desired srt in the show?

Under File ID click the number, then you should see the srt shown under Extras

@tmm1 OK. So I think i am understanding. So since the there is no subtitle listed on the details screen, that means that the client will just show the option to turn on/off closed captions when I add my own srt file. If the video file has closed captions already and I add my own, my srt will just show as the last "track" correct?

Also I deleted that show and then emptied the trash. the srt remained.

'The Rookie - S05E02 - Labor Day.eng.srt'

Correct, the srt file is added as a new caption track at the end by the player.

Currently only .srt file is deleted so the .eng.srt is sticking around.

Ahh gotcha. Is that something that is going to be fixed? I can modify my process to rename them if not.

This update for the captions have been a huge quality of life improvement. Now all of my Virtual Channels have captions! Seriously, thank you so much for making this work.

1 Like

I think I've encountered a bug. The URL I paste into the Trailers field for a movie works right away. After clicking "Save" in my browser, I see the movie's info page on the AppleTV quickly display a "Trailer" button, And I can click that button to stream the trailer there. Works great! But when I go back to that same info page a little bit later, the Trailer button is gone, and when I check the DVR webUI to edit the movie's metadata, I see that the Trailer field is blank again. Did it not really get saved? Or is something flushing this field afterwards for some reason?

I've added a handful of trailers this way and they all worked fine, but now all of those fields are empty.

Example URL of a trailer file, for the movie "Triangle of Sadness:"

https://movietrailers.apple.com/movies/independent/triangle-of-sadness/triangle-of-sadness-trailer-1_i320.m4v

Latest prerelease of server, latest TestFlight of Channels app.

I am experiencing the same issue. I am experiencing the issue exactly as stated above. I have not been able to figure out the time it takes to disappear, but it is happening.

@tmm1 ... I just wanted to bring the disappearing trailers url to your attention in case you missed this thread.

1 Like

Has anyone found the issue here? I would love to load some trailers!

Tested again and yes, can confirm that any URLs pasted in the Trailer URL field do work fine on the tvOS client for a bit, and then... eventually... disappear. Usually just a few minutes later.

There must be some operation that overwrites the value. If you can narrow down the time and find the entry in the http log that causes it that would help.

Hmm that fast every time?

Yep, within a few minutes every time, it's reproducible and consistent.

I add the URL for a trailer for a movie in the DVR.
Then I confirm that trailer streams directly on the AppleTV.
Then I go back to the DVR and add a trailer for a different movie, pasting a different URL in that different movie's Trailer URL field.
I confirm that trailer streams on the AppleTV, too.
Then I go back to the first movie on the AppleTV, and see the trailer button is gone.
Then I go back to the DVR and see the Trailer URL field for that movie is now empty.

I turned on the http log and went through the steps above but unfortunately don't see anything in the logs that refers to this. All I know is that if I spend any time adding Trailer URLs to any movies and stream one or two off them and then go back to them later I'll see they've disappeared. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what else to try.

Can you try adding the trailer url. Watching the movie for a minute, stopping it, then checking the web admin immediately?

I'm wondering if the client is updating the movie data and clearing out the trailer url.

Something like that, yes. I followed those steps, stopping the movie after a minute (closing the PIP window too) and the trailer URL was still in the web admin immediately afterwards. Then I went back to the AppleTV and saw the trailer button was still displayed on-screen for this movie. I didn't play the trailer, but I force-quit the Channels app, relaunched, went back to the movie's page and the trailer button was now gone. I then went back to the web admin, and see the trailer URL is now empty.

This is the same behavior I've been seeing when only streaming the newly added trailers too, though. They work at first, and then disappear, after a few minutes of me clicking around to play them.