BETA: Imported Content Extras (Trailers & Subtitles)

It's just another option.

Here is an example of a random trailer url i tried and cant get to work...

"Turning Red | Official Trailer - YouTube"

That's a link to a web page, not a video.

1 Like

You can use this link hosted by Apple Trailers.

3 Likes

Do I just use that link in the Trailer URL field? I tried that and it did not make a difference.

Also, how did you get that link? I would love to be able to get / generate links like that for other movies.

Yes, just copy and paste that into the field. It worked for me on the latest tvOS beta, maybe make sure you’re fully updated on the client side too?

If you’re familiar with youtube-dl, it will extract the trailer URLs if you input any given movie’s Apple Trailers page. You can also open up developer tools in whatever browser you have and filter “MP4” or “M4V” to get the file URL.

1 Like

Hi, I have managed to get this working now. @alai provided great assistance, I never appreciated that the trailer button only appears in TVOS not IOS version of latest channels beta. I was also expecting to see a trailers sub category, listing all trailers. This is not the case, when you select a movie, if it has a valid trailer URL linked, then a trailer button appears on screen. So you can either watch, View Trailer from the selected movie. The tricky bit is actually identifying the valid URL for a trailer. I have figured out how to do this by way of using the Web Inspector in Safari to view the source code, but it's fiddly and a bit time consuming. It would be good if a future release of channels automatically aggregates trailers from a reliable source, such as iTunes or IMDB or You Tube when a local movie is scanned on import. Maybe even have an option to enable disable this feature. Currently alot of effort is required from the main channels adminstrator looking after the DVR.

3 Likes

Apple's Movie Trailers site is a great resource for this, thanks for the reminder about it, @alai!

As far as identifying the video URL from a page playing a video, this extension for Google Chrome pinpoints the URL quickly and easily: https://add0n.com/hls-downloader.html

This is a similar extension, but for Firefox: GitHub - rowrawer/stream-detector: A Firefox addon for keeping track of manifests used by various streaming protocols and downloading media files.

3 Likes

For a simplified subtitle experience in Plex, I've got all my external subtitle files named in [LANG.[forced.]]srt format, (ex. .eng.srt). If the additional subtitle formatting in Channels is not going to be supported, would it be possible that instead of supporting an exact filename match, you might consider matching "filename*.srt" so Channels would pick up one subtitle file if present?

I’m using a third party tool that download trailers, featurettes, and extras into sub folders.

Channels is not able to read the trailers this way. Is there anyway to include this?

Please provide an example of how they are named and stored.

Naming under the trailers folders are random names.

Any news on this front? Would love the ability to read subfolders like this.

I would love to have channels auto detect trailers from youtube and just present them to us, like Kodi does.

Curious, what third party tool is this?

1 Like

This should work now.

This is also now supported.

1 Like

Can you detail a little bit about what has changed?

Do I just update channels dvr to get this working?

The build fixes the two mentioned issues.

.en.srt wasn't being recognized. Now it is

/Trailers/*.srt wasn't being recognized. Now it is.

You can update to prerelease, then click Refresh Metadata on an import to scan for extras

2 Likes

Awesome work!

I’m going to be greedy, any chance we can get all the extras working to?