BETA: Imported Content Extras (Trailers & Subtitles)

Can you try adding the trailer url. Watching the movie for a minute, stopping it, then checking the web admin immediately?

I'm wondering if the client is updating the movie data and clearing out the trailer url.

Something like that, yes. I followed those steps, stopping the movie after a minute (closing the PIP window too) and the trailer URL was still in the web admin immediately afterwards. Then I went back to the AppleTV and saw the trailer button was still displayed on-screen for this movie. I didn't play the trailer, but I force-quit the Channels app, relaunched, went back to the movie's page and the trailer button was now gone. I then went back to the web admin, and see the trailer URL is now empty.

This is the same behavior I've been seeing when only streaming the newly added trailers too, though. They work at first, and then disappear, after a few minutes of me clicking around to play them.

The bug causing trailer urls to disappear has been fixed in next prerelease.

3 Likes

I am running into a bug with closed captions. On the same movie they work on Local clients but do not work on Remote clients,

Since I see some other activity with Remote access, can someone look into this issue where closed captions does not work on Remote clients for the same content that works on Local clients? Thanks.

Normal YouTube URLs are now supported in the tvOS and iOS version as of the latest TestFlight beta. You can simply copy and paste a link to a YouTube video into a movie's Trailer URL field, and it will play back.

You will need both the latest tvOS/iOS version and the latest pre-release Channels DVR Server.

2 Likes

I've tested a bunch here, all are working great. Fantastic addition, thanks!

My only notes: The tooltip's text should be changed, now that the rules changed. Also if it's possible to link to a new tab with a YT search for "movie name (year) + trailer," it would be a very handy timesaver.

1 Like

It won't change until Android also supports this. :shushing_face:

Fair enough :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I noticed trailers I assigned in the past went missing, perhaps lost prior to the bug fix in February, so I'm going through now and reassigning them all via YouTube links.

Could we get a search term for a Smart Rule that would help us find the movies in our library that have (or do not yet have) a trailer?

2 Likes

Wait, so this will play a YouTube video in the Channels video player?

In that case, can this functionality be extended to STRM file support?

Patience my friend.

2 Likes

I didn't think I would be that interested in this addition, but I am finding it very useful after playing around with it some today. Thanks!

Now, as mentioned above, it would be awesome to integrate stream links this easily. :grinning:
Holding on to that patience...

3 Likes

Were trailers ever added to the iOS app? On my iPhone I don't see a button or option after tapping "More".

Same here, not seeing them on my iPhone. Latest TestFlight.

They’re working fantastically on AppleTV though!

One other thought along these lines: it would be cool if there was a screen in the Channels interface that would let us browse and play the trailers we’ve assigned. (I mean, just by trailer, and not having to go by title, hoping that it has a trailer.)

There isn’t. It’s gotta be worked in.

A trailer button is now available on iOS and iPadOS as of the latest TestFlight beta.

1 Like

Just got to test this on both iOS and tvOS. It seems like Channels is pulling 720p for most YouTube links but for a couple I'm only seeing 360p:

I am working on using OpenAI-Whisper to generate automatic English subtitles for unedited television shows recorded from androidhdmi-for-channels and chrome-capture-for-channels. I test playback on an M1 Mac using IINA media player to play the generated .srt files with the Channels DVR recorded .mpg files and I am getting very good results with word recognition using the medium sized model.

However, Channels for Apple TV and the Channels App on M1 Mac does not seem to support playback of subtitle .srt files alongside Channels DVR recorded TV shows.

Reading this thread, it looks like this is supported for movies today. Is there any chance this can also be enabled for TV recordings?

For anyone interested here is the GitHub repository that I used to get started:

The model runs locally, so you need a lot of compute or a lot of time to create the subtitle files. I am running it under a bare metal Ubuntu install on an older Cisco UCS C240 Server with dual Xeon processors for a total of 56 cores and half a terabyte of RAM. On the server, the subtitle generator runs at between 150 and 500 frames per second depending on the video source.

2 Likes

Wow, fhis is awesome and inspiring. Very cool project, thanks for sharing!

1 Like