BETA: Imported Content Extras (Trailers & Subtitles)

At the moment, trailers and sidecar subtitles are for movies only. Additional features like these are expected for TV shows (including additional metadata sources I believe), but they are not yet available.

As a workaround, you could remux your TV show file to insert/embed the additional subtitle file, assuming the original file was a container format that supported text subtitles.

@racameron ugh that’s what I was afraid of…one step at a time I suppose! I’ll have to go the remux route. Thanks the the clarification

It should work for any imported video. Might be a bug.

@tmm1 If it is a bug anything I can do to help you get that fixed?

Will Channels DVR pick up a .MOV trailer file?

I've downloaded a load of trailers in .MOV & they are not being registered, however .MP4 files work ok?

I have deleted & re added "my movies" folder into the Channels DVR server with no luck.

Thanks.

.MOV probably isn't an approve listed extension. We can add it.

You can just rename the extension of your .MOV files for now and it won't hurt a thing.

Thanks for the reply. Can you let me know if / when the .MOV extension gets added... save me going through 300+ movies and changing the file extension. :slight_smile:

MOV is already part of the accepted list. Something else is going on. What is the full path that's not importing, and what are your import path settings?

1 Like

@tmm1 @Maddox I noticed this issue still happening just the other day. Any chance you could check into why external subtitles aren't working with TV shows?

I notice that when I deleted a movie, the SRT file remained behind after it cleared the trash. I would want all of the associated files to be deleted together.

1 Like

@tmm1 @maddox This topic appears to be a little stale, but I'm also having no success with external subtitles and TV shows. A known issue or something I'm doing wrong? (Movies with external subs are working just fine for me).

Added support for episode subtitles in the next DVR build.

3 Likes

Awesome, looks good!

1 Like

Added a movie into my Imports folder, it plays great in Channels, i select captions from the pull down menu, no subs. I place an srt file and title it to be the same as the movie. Refreshed metadata but still no subs after restarting the movie and app. I am using the latest test flight on Apple TV. What am i doing wrong?

I’m looking for guidance on this new feature. I tried YouTube and Vimeo links, which don't seem to do anything when I try to play them on the latest tvOS beta. What types of links are accepted for trailers?

You need to link to videos. Like, actual URLs to video files.

I tried this, by pasting a url link to a trailer from two sources online but could not see how this works? Where on the client does this present? Is the trailer supposed to play automatically at the start of the movie? Or are we supposed to see a separate option on screen to play the trailer if required? To conclude, I cannot get this working as it stands, but I suspect that’s my lack of understanding about how this feature has been designed to work.

Can you give an example of one of the links.

There’s a “Trailer” button on the movie page, and I believe it only shows up on the latest tvOS beta.

Got it, was this made with a specific website in mind that hosts these trailer files? I’m just trying to understand how this might be better/different than the existing functionality of having the file downloaded and in the same folder as your movie.

1 Like