DEPRECATED: PC Stream for Channels (DRM Workaround) | No new hardware required!

Will the vlc screen be blank/black, but look to be running from looking at the time going as expected?

The other two .bat files are working as expected with the NFL network opening in full screen and the 3rd .bat file shutting both chrome and vlc off!

It should look something like this:

I just did that on a machine I've never done that on before, and VLC had to ask for permission from Windows, so maybe something like that is going on with you?

I haven't done a super long recording test yet, but have a 4-hour block scheduled tomorrow on USA. I'll see what happens on my end, too!

Attempting to follow along with the instructions and seems I am hitting a couple of issues that maybe you can assist with:

1. VLC is returning an error: Capture failed: The device you selected cannot be used because its type is not supported
  2. no audio when viewing from channels (assuming this is related to the above)
1 Like

It asked for permission, I gave it access. It says dshow:// in the playlist and not "converting dshow://" the "converting" part is missing? It is running, but it has a blank screen with only the VLC icon.
Transform is checked and flip vertically is selected.

1 Like

It sounds like there is an issue with the screen capture program. Perhaps an uninstall and reinstall of that step would help?

Yes, it sounds like it did not automatically start like expected. It should auto-begin without intervention. Something must be blocking it.

Both of you, I'm curious if you can attempt a manual stream. I'm away from my server right now so I can't get all the screen shots and show a test with the setup we are using here, but if you could follow these directions and try to stream to another VLC on network?

I can get you something easier to follow with screen shots sometime over the weekend, probably.

Using the steps you outlined, it is now showing "Converting dshow://" rather than just "dshow://".

1 Like

Thanks, the initial was on a vm, so attempted a real machine and did not run into the same issue and getting audio so my issues were related and will need to play with my vm settings to see if I can get it to work appropriately.

My only issue now is now the "fullscreen" fullscreens the web page and not just the stream:

Well another issue with the DRM on NBC --- can get the audio but not the video.
Probably missed something here in my setup

This a capture from RDP of the Windows machine

And this is in channels

Try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome: How to disable hardware acceleration in Google Chrome - Pureinfotech

1 Like

Has anyone played around with this in Linux? If not, I plan to try once I have some free time (maybe see about Docker or a way to have multiple channels per instance?). Worst case, I'll see about trying it out on some virtual machines.

1 Like

I’ve been using the miibeez/vlc-bridge-pbs Docker with Channels for a long time and it works seamlessly and I believe PBS is using DRM. Why can’t this be adapted to other channels like NBC?

1 Like

Yeah, exactly. It's been asked multiple times how PBS can be made to work and NBC can't.

I have been exploring Xvfb but honestly did not make it very far yesterday.

Here's what I have gotten to thus far.

Start a Xvfb running firefox:

xvfb-run -n 99 -a --server-args="-screen 0 1024x8000x24 -ac -nolisten tcp -dpi 96 +extension RANDR" /snap/bin/firefox

Start recording with FFMPEG and make available via port 4444:

ffmpeg -video_size 640x1208 -f x11grab -i :99 -c:v libx264 -c:a aac  -g 50 -b:v 4000k -maxrate 4000k -bufsize 8000k -f flv -listen 1 rtmp://localhost:4444/stream

Now tune into the virtual frame buffer from linux desktop:

ffplay -fflags -nobuffer -flags low_delay -probesize 32 -flags low_delay -analyzeduration 0 -i rtmp://localhost:4444/stream

Once more refined channels could subscribe to the the 4444 port or might have to uplink to nginx-rtmp (haven't made it this far yet).

Next steps are to get browser automation working via selenium.

See:

Their code is private, so no one has been able to figure it out. Back in the PBS thread, they said that things like NFL and NBC were not possible. I don't think that is true, but without the code, there is no way to no for sure!

FYI, I'm working on a V2 that should eliminate a lot of the quality and control over desktop issues, and also make things a little easier for Mac/Linux transition. It is based on something Aman sent over to me, so I'm going to get it clean and documented before releasing.

1 Like

I wonder why their code is private. Has anyone reached out to them and tried to see if they would be willing to help? It would be such a game changer for all of us, especially since it appears that the DRM trend will continue.

In any case, thank you so much for all of your hard work, and I look forward to following your progress… :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah the big question is if any browser can play this DRM content, it shouldn't be impossible there has to be a way for code to be able to do it with libraries.

But no one explains why it is or isn't possible.

My four hour recording went off without a hitch (USA Network), so I think it might have been something to do with the source stream.

1 Like

I saw something yesterday that should give a lot of hope. Stay tuned!

2 Likes