Beta: Siri Shortcuts Phase 2

I don't believe that Shortcuts are supported on Apple TV. You can use your iPhone/iPad/Mac to send commands to your Apple TV, but I don't think you can initiate anything from the Apple TV itself.

No. Siri Shortcuts are for iOS.

Basic shortcuts knowledge here…
Worked great then switched locations
Is there a way within shortcuts to recognize georef or even wifi to determine which Appletv to use?
Whiteout building shortcut that says “where” or which Appletv to use? Or if I change name of Apple TV’s to match (but other times it’s good to have differnt names to know which one your working with”…

If you don't select a particular device but leave it blank, the shortcut will prompt you for a device when you run the shortcut.

Yep, I experienced this as well. Unfortunately, this will need to be worked around at the moment as it's an edge case. But I myself have this problem, so you be sure there will be some sort of solution eventually.

GEO is out, shortcuts just don't work this way. You could name the devices uniquely so they don't get mixed up. Or you could ensure they have the same IP address at each location.

If you're well-versed in HomeKit and/or HomeBridge you can probably use if statements based on some device that is triggered by arrivals/departures in HomeKit (i.e., a switch that is automated to turn on when you're in your home and off when you leave). Then the Shortcuts logic would use the appropriate command for a device based on that HomeKit device's state.

This is far from a graceful solution but wanted to throw it out there in case others are trying to accomplish something similar to you.

A HomePod mini can do this if you want voice commands without an iPhone/iPad. I use mine to switch between channels and trigger recordings on an Apple TV.

Curious to hear if anyone’s had success with Apple Watch.

1 Like

Doesn't work on my (ancient) Series 3. "Could Not Run Watch Channel On Other Device: An unknown error occurred."

It looks like it has trouble handing off to my iPhone. Aside from the “(null)” that seems to be a common Shortcuts iOS 15 bug, this is what I get on my Series 5:

incoming-8EBB0E8E-C5CA-4C0E-9CCD-83891AA4D201

incoming-989BB584-0759-4614-9801-4E9D84C3B44C

:tada: This has shipped :tada:

Thanks for ALL of the hard work and feedback from you guys. I'm going to close this topic now. If you have any issues, just open a new topic.

1 Like