Beta testing next Apple TV release

There’s a new pre-release v2017.04.13.0150 build available now with a fix for the panic bug, and for the EXTEND transcoding tuner-sharing bug.

I have installed 2017.04.13.0150

If I start a channel from the AppleTV latest beta (4.11.105) and the same channel via the DVR web page, it’s still using two tuners on my Extend (transcoding set to none). This is true no matter which I start first.

Note: the HDHomerun tuner status shows the clients for both tuners are the same DVR IP address.

Also note, if I start the same channel in two DVR web pages, the tuner IS SHARED. I cannot try the same with two AppleTVs as I only have one.

The web player is hard-coded to use the mobile transcoding profile with the EXTEND, so sharing would only kick in if the ATV was also using mobile.

The hard-coded value is from the earliest version of the player… perhaps it makes sense to use the same setting as recordings do now?

I’m worried that making this change now would break remote viewing for anyone with an Extend who doesn’t want his recordings to be transcoded and has limited up bandwidth.

I’d prefer that you wait until the iOS app supports the DVR. Presumably the transcoding selected in the iOS app would not affect recording.

Both recordings and live stream should be transcoded by the dvr when the web player is used (using whatever resolution and bitrate that was selected by the user on the settings page for the web-ui). The extend transcode is not nessessary for streaming and so the web-ui streaming should recieve the same video from the HDHR as the recordings do.

I only use the web remote for watching internally on non-apple clients, since the green apps don’t allow static IPs, so I would like to see variable rate. I also have plenty of bandwidth for it. My expectation is that iOS will be my remote viewer, will handle the oauth better and have all the controls that I don’t have now. I only use it in a pinch when remote.

@tmm1 I was very confused with my previous reply to this. I forgot that the web player is a separate setting!

Yes, please do as you suggest and have the Extend use the record settings for tuning requests by the web player.

So I recently reverted back to a single HDHomeRun Prime. In following this thread, has the sharing feature been built into the Apple Store versions of the ATV client and the current DVR client (QNAP 2017.04.28). If so, when the DVR and Apple TV client are both watching the same channel, how many tuners should be utilized? I’m seeing 2 tuners occupied, both with the same channel streaming. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The tuner sharing is built into the latest DVR, but still only available in the beta tvOS app.

Now, I’m confused…I thought latest ATV Beta was updated to App Store, a day ago.

Copied from: New ATV Beta: Re-designed Recordings tab! (+ new TestFlight)

tmm1 Channels Developer

“This build is now live on the App Store as v2.1.32”

You’re right, that’s very confusing. Tuner sharing is currently marked as beta-only feature, so it only works on the Beta.app. This is similar to other features such as Submit Diagnostics, and Test Surround Sound. Other than that, the two builds are identical.

Thanks for clarification.

Good to know… I will check out using the beta app and check to see how the behavior differs. I usually leave the production app in a main window for the family to use, but will switch this out.

Any idea when this will be released? I am anxious to get it on all of our ATVs.

FYI, in the latest version of the app Tuner Sharing has been disabled by default. If you want to use it, you will need to go enable it on the Settings tab.

@tmm1 - QQ, once we reset this to share will it persist across future upgrades? Reason I ask, is that tuner sharing is working just fine for me and so I want to continue to use it. I don’t want to have to manually update 7 ATVs each time they upgrade to reenable the feature.

To be honest, a setting on the DVR side that the clients follow would be ideal.

Yes, we won’t reset it past this last update. Your setting will be preserved.

OK, cool.

This would be more appropriate if it asked “WHY are you still watching ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’” :grinning: