BETA: tvOS 17 Context Menus

tvOS brought native context menus that have been in iOS for years. FINALLY.

The latest test-flight beta has migrated to using them. And thank god, because the Alert views we were using previously looked awful (with our large amounts of items) after the re-design Apple did to them in tvOS 17.

We were already using this style all over iOS so not much had to change, and it's even better because now that platforms are unified making things way easier to maintain.

That being said, please keep a look out for any missing options or extra options that aren't relevant to tvOS while using them. Please let us know if you see anything funny.

Thanks!

Shot

8 Likes

I'd love to see the new changes, but, unfortunately, when I click "Check For Update" on the server page, version 2024.01.09.1538 is the latest build that will install. I tried holding down the button, also tried clicking the down drop arrow to "Check for Pre-Release."

Is there another way to do it because this is a common problem for me? It usually takes two or three days, after an announcement, before it will download the latest test-flight beta.

This is for the client app, not the server. You need to enroll in the TestFlight beta on your AppleTV to get the client betas.

I am enrolled in the TestFlight beta program. I just thought the server had to be updated to that pre-release version before it would should up on my Apple TV. But, apparently not because I see that it's already there.

Just updated and everything looks great! Looks like the poster art is finally sized correctly in the Quick Guide drop down menu. I hope that means it's also fixed in the Top Shelf guide as well, but I can't tell because the Top Shelf won't load.

The Top Shelf disappearing is a common problem. If I navigate over to the Apple TV app or Netflix, then back to Channels it will usually come right back, but not this time. I've forced closed and restarted the ChannelsBeta app a couple of times, but it still won't come back.

Restarted my Apple TV and the Top Shelf came back, but it looks like the artwork is still not sized correctly. Bummer.

1 Like

There's some really nice quality of life improvements in the latest Test Flight beta:

You can now add content to a Playlist or Collection directly from the context menu. You can even create new Playlists or Collections! You can also remove content from a Collection or Playlist when you're inside of one, using the context menu.

3 Likes

Very slick looking! And I really like that the rest of my family never has to even know about this, keeping it as simple as usual for them, but it's there when I want it.

Latest Test Flight beta has add the ability to delete whole collections and playlists from the context menu

As of the latest Test Flight beta, the context menus are much more organized and intuitive.

Context Menus are leveling UP the tvOS app!

3 Likes