Better GUI - like ATV?

Just picked up an ATV4k to add to my 2 x shields.

Installed the Channels DVR app and have found a MUCH better interface - top row menu, much nicer guide.

Why can’t we have a similar app on the shield? The shield version looks much more and more inferior.

Just installed on my sister’s Apple TV for remote viewing. Yes the interface is better, but that ATV remote control kills the experience

I use a harmony, so i am spared the poor remote (my kids love it tho).

In regards to how the menus are laid out in each app, they are doing so according to design patterns for each operating system.

The tab bar is an Apple TV and iOS design pattern. The left side menu in Android TV is their design pattern. We believe in adhering to the patterns of the operating system so we can fulfill the expectations that users have for those platforms.

It sounds like you like the Apple TV version better, so glad you found one you like! I personally prefer the patterns in Apple TV more myself.

2 Likes

Being able to see the categories on the left is only possible with ATV guidelines? With Android TV you would not even know they were there.

The two apps should be functionality identical. You can change the filter on the Android TV guide in the top left of the grid.

Maybe you can elaborate on what makes the Apple TV guide “much nicer”?

And thanks for that! Too many designers try to shoe-horn their vision into a platform, irrespective of that platform’s design pattern. Kudos to you guys for doing it the right way (IMO).