Better search

Currently, if I want to record all James Bond films (for example) you have to set up a series of advanced passes.

To take this example, the primary one I’ve got is one that looks for “James bond” in a show description.

That’s great, I’ve now got a way to record James Bond films. But, there is then a big problem. From what I can see, there is no way to organise a series of films together. So you cannot just browse all James Bond films recorded. Or at least not easily.

And to top it off, if you search for “James Bond” the search does not search in show descriptions. So you cannot even find all bond films ad hoc.

It seems to me that a couple of things should be added:

• Provide search options. These might include to search in a description, to search only in the library or only upcoming etc. Some of the same filters available in the advanced passes would be good too.
  • Ability to save searches as collections. Eg, if you search for “James Bond” in show description, you could save that for easily returning to the results in the future. These might include upcoming showings and be able to be set to automatically update the results as new recordings are added to the library or set to be frozen as it was at the time the search was saved
1 Like

You might try creating a "JamesBond" folder in Imported Movies. Placing your James Bond movies into that folder will allow you to select Library - Movies - Folder - JamesBond to see the James Bond movies stored in the folder. Those movies still remain available in the standard Movies Library.

I tried to add a folder in my normal /Channels/Movies folder and it did not appear to work. Also, a folder "James Bond" did not work, but the one word "JamesBond" folder did.

Unfortunately, the Search function does not find the JamesBond folder. You just have to remember that you created one and go look for it in the Movies - Folders section.

I, too, wish the search function would include Cast members, Director, Show Description etc., so that Advanced Passes were more useful AFTER the recording is complete. Then I could use Search to find the recording again.

2 Likes

So in the 2 years since this was published, no improvement in search?
I'd like the ability to look for "noir" movies, everything that "harrison ford" is in, etc both for recording, and for viewing my library (for example)

Advanced passes can match descriptions and cast for recording.

Library search was also improved.

1 Like

Ah interesting! Thanks.
Will there be "record everything with "Harrison ford" " in it kind of functionality?
--Peter

Yes via advanced passes.

Sorry I don't see how ro get to a directors and cast search? Thanks.

Ah found it under dvr, passes.

1 Like

It would still be nice to have the same or similar features available in search as we have in advanced passes for filtering / refining search results.

2 Likes