Bluray to Channels?

Hi all - I began thinking if there would be a way to “backup” my Bluray collection in a way that the Channels DVR could understand and present those movies to the ATV Channels app. Any ideas? If this even possible?

Channels App isn’t the right app for what you are looking to do. Channels is setup and intended for television shows where the information is stored in it’s database and the viewer is designed to play the video formats used by OTA and cable.

I suggest apps like Infuse or Plex. I really like Infuse Pro for organizing and watching ripped movies or television. You will also need to something to rip your blurays and dvds. I’m currently ripping my CD collection and was somewhat surprised to find that music is a totally different solution set then movies.

Good Luck

1 Like

Yeah…the more I looked into this the more I think there may be other apps suited for this use case.

Yeah, probably better looking at Plex.

You can also use iTunes and watch through there. That’s what I’ve been doing

So I’ll have the movies located on my Ubuntu box but not sure how to access them using these different apps.

you could create a shared folder with SAMBA and then setup the share in an app like Infuse Pro

1 Like

This is working well with Infuse. Thanks for the tips.

2 Likes

Isn’t it nice when you find the right tool for the job? I’m a big fan of Infuse. Channels and Infuse are the top 2 AppleTV Apps for my family with Netflix #3.

Yup

This completes my entire home entertainment workflow with the AppleTV as the only TV input. Channels for Live TV, Channels DVR for TV recordings, Infuse Pro for my BluRays(with HD Audio too!), and a number of solutions for immediate streaming(Netflix, iTunes, etc) if necessary.

BTW - 24p would be icing on the cake :slight_smile:

1 Like

We also use AppleTV as the primary input and device for home entertainment (I can’t say only as some of our televisions still have dedicated game machines. Same set of apps although I am also playing with MRMC for locally stored audio. I’ve dumped the CD collection to FLAC files and would like an Infuse like experience for music. So far staying away from itunes so I don’t have to convert everything to Apple supported formats.

I agree that 24p would be nice. It would really compliment the home theater.

1 Like

24p is on my dream list. I refuse to believe that Apple loves movies until they support this on the Apple TV!!

I’ve been using a Shield to play back some 4K content recently via Kodi and having smooth pans with 24p was even better than the resolution bump! I miss it.

2 Likes