Boot Loop

Trying to install Channels on my RaPi. Burned the image to my Hitachi 2 TB USB 3.0 HD. Stats to boot but then gets caught in a unsupported 4096 block size. See the attached photo.

Strange, haven't seen that error before.

You already imaged the drive?

Maybe try plugging into one of the black USB2 ports?

No Change, same message

Imaging seemed to go fine.

Been using Channels on my QNAP NAS for the past year. No real problems,even my friend can watch remotely in Australia. Trying to make my system a little more secure after QNAP has been having all this trouble with ransome ware.

Bit of a "me too" here - I just tried with an Iomega 500GB portable USB3 drive and it fails the same way - "Unsupported block size 4096". An older USB2 drive works OK, both contain the same actual disk drive - "SAMSUNG HM500JI" (!)

I tried updating the RPi EEPROM to the latest "beta" version but that made no difference.

The problem is that the RPi boot loader only supports disks that advertise their "device block size" as 512 bytes - see: Got a 120GB Jmicron SSD usb3 drive, cannot boot due to "Unsupported Block size 4096" - Raspberry Pi Forums

This is not the "allocation size" on the file system, it's the reported block size of the disk.

On MacOS you can see this by plugging in the drive and using the terminal command

diskutil info /dev/diskN | grep "Block"

(where "N" is the disk number of the USB disk).

For the "Iomega LPHD-UP3" USB3 disk, this gives:

$ diskutil info /dev/disk3 | grep "Block"
   Device Block Size:         4096 Bytes
$

For the "Iomega LPHD-UPC" USB2 disk, this gives:

$ diskutil info /dev/disk3 | grep "Block"
   Device Block Size:         512 Bytes
$

There doesn't seem to be a way out of this at the moment....

1 Like

Has there been any progress on this? I attempted to install Channels on an RPI 4 8GB and a 4TB WD Elements HDD using the instructions here. All went well until I tried to boot the PI from the HDD and got the Unsupported Block Size 4096 message. Tried methods too numerous to list here to change the block size to 512 and format the drive Fat32 using various Windows utilities and Gparted - nothing worked for all 4TB. Based on previous posts will this only work with certain drives? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for all replies.