Buffering excessive on AppleTV and IPad When remote

100MB is fine but... If you are supposed to have 1GB then it could indicate a problem for sure. You want to test on a wired connection and not wifi. If it is that bad on wired then it could be anything upstream, router, switch. ONT, etc

If you run a tool like https://www.pingplotter.com and have it test 8.8.8.8 and keep it running for 24 hours. If you check on it, you should see a 0% packet loss rate. If you see more than that, it's a good indication you have some networking issues.

Thanks, I will give that a try.

Most likely your cellular carrier is blocking or otherwise interfering with your data transmission.

One solution is to install VPN software, such as IpVanish, on the Shield. Drawback is Channels has issues connecting remotely when you run a VPN.

However, Channels has Tailscale embedded in the server software. Activate that feature and install Tailscale on the remote client. Most likely your buffering issues will disappear.

I seriously doubt the cell carrier is blocking outbound port 8089TCP. I'm all for using a VPN to secure traffic, I run one on my android phone 100% of the time (mainly because I work for a VPN company). However, it is never going to make things better unless you are bypassing a troublesome network route where your VPN server avoids a temporary network issue.

I have encountered the same issue you've described. Ultimately, my issue was resolved by implementing VPN software on the Channels server.

Cellular carriers are notorious for blocking streaming data unless that data is coming from one of the "big" guys like Amazon or Netflix.

Port 8089 is used when your device is establishing a connection with the server not when the server is sending data to the client. The server will use a dynamic port, 49152 or higher, to converse with the client.

They are blocking based on the characteristics of the data stream not which port is used.

Sorry but what you are describing regarding the "dynamic port" is the source port. 8089 isn't just used for the initial connection. Both source and destination ports are used throughout the data stream. The client always uses 8089 as its destination port, the carrier could care less about the source port. If the carrier is going to block anything it would be a destination port.

Hogwash... Networks are made up of ip addresses, ports, and protocols. ISPs block based on that criteria. That's why you cannot run a webserver on port 80 on your home isp. They block 80TCP. however you can run one on 81TCP and it will not be blocked. Has nothing to do with the "characteristics of the data"

Ran it all night with zero packet loss. Everything looked fine.

The issue happens when client is on cellular or wifi out of the home. Any remote out of home conenction buffers not just cellular

There is also MSS/MTU. I would lower MTU and see what happens.

True but I have never had to lower the mtu for any consumer device. I doubt that is the issue here

You are clearly not a home network geek

It won't be blocked by a simple port restriction rule. It will be blocked by a protocol analysis and an AUP that forbids certain behaviors. Unless you believe that ISPs and cellular data providers haven't learned how to use Wireshark yet...

it is about not using the default port. (that's why almost every residential service blocks port 25 outbound). ISPs just make it inconvenient for residential users to encourage business contracts which are usually more expensive.

1 Like

I understand but my point is that Channels DVR is not on any cellulars ISP's radar to block/restrict throughput. If anything they want to hit you with data overages.

1 Like

We're kind of straying off the topic of the thread but Channels uses common transports that are easily determined. MPEG-TS and HLS are not obscure protocols. And yes, data service providers are well aware of these methods of video streaming. T-Mobile will limit to 480p unless you want to pay for an upgrade. I don't think there's a single cellular provider that doesn't throttle video streams.

1 Like

Never had a single issue with Verizon or AT&T. I stream original mpeg2 OTA to my mobile device all the time.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.