Bug: Matching two similar named shows

Bug Report:
The DVR doesnt seem to be processing the difference between

The New Adventures of Jonny Quest (1986)

and

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (1996)

from TMDB

the new adventures of jonny quest isnt even showing with Gracenote but shows jonny quest for the correct year - it doesnt pull the right data regardless. I've tried deleting the files from the server and re-importing but it doesnt seem to fix anything. "Fix incorrect match" doesnt work.

video:

If this has the correct episodes, just use SH003740610000 in the Fix incorrect match search box
https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/overview.html?programSeriesId=SH00374061&tmsId=SH003740610000&from=TVGrid&aid=gapzap

doesnt pull data correctly sadly. lists every episode as season 1 episode 0

video:

After you match the show to gracenote data using SH003740610000
Go back in and match it to TMDB, which matches the show episodes.

What do the filenames look like. Do they have S#E# in them?

If you delete (or move) them from the import folder using your OS, you need to do a Prune Removed Media (Settings > Sources > Personal Media :gear: dropdown) before re-importing them.

yep. thought it was implied. but ya, i did

After you match the show to gracenote data using SH003740610000
Go back in and match it to TMDB, which matches the show episodes.

Doesn't do anything.

file structure is

/volume1/TV Series/The new adventures of Jonny Quest (1986)/Season 01/JONNY QUEST (1986) - Ep. 01 - Peril of the Reptilian.mp4

I tested by importing this file

The new adventures of Jonny Quest (1986)/Season 01/JONNY QUEST (1986) - S01E01 - Peril of the Reptilian.mp4

Fixed match on the Show to Gracenote SH003740610000
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 13-59-35 Channels The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest

Fixed match on the Show to TMDB
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 14-00-21 Channels Jonny Quest

I don't think it's using the Season 01 directory for matching, just the root folder and the filename.
Try changing the Ep. ## to S##E## in the filenames.

ive changed the file names from just the episode to include season 01 (only one season) to S01E0X

that seems to pull correctly now for the individual episodes by not the actual title of the show. Its still showing the Real adventures of Jonny Quest instead of the NEW adventures of Jonny Quest.

I can manually change that so no biggie. Still weird.

Yes, unfortunately for TV Series matching you have to get the Show metadata from Gracenote and only the Episode metadata comes from TMDB.

ya, thats causing issues with the Real adventures and the NEW adventures being lumped together under the same listing in channels. this has to be a bug. The files are in different folders with different names.

Yet channels is lumping it all together.

after taking that video i went to remove the Real Adventures folder to try from scratch and the prune missing episodes doesnt work. Fun times all around.

There is a lot of weirdness going on here. Never had this issue before.

Doing a rescan from the library settings got them removed. Im removing the space in between the S and E for the Real adventures and will try reimporting them to see if they get added to the New Adventures

edit: nope. Its merging the two shows together even though they are named differently and in different folders.

That's why I don't import things into Channels DVR (other than for testing).
Importing TV Shows automatically uses Gracenote and you have to spend too much time fiddling with things and editing artwork and metadata. Not worth it to me. Waiting until they get it fixed.

I tried the same thing with a test file for The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (1996)

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (1996)/Season 01/The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest (1996) - S01E01 - The Darkest Fathoms.mp4

Did a fix match on the show using gracenote SH001873340000
Then a fix match using TMDB and it corrected it.

Have both shows separate now.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 16-29-12 Channels Browse TV Shows

The only way I know to correct the first show name is to edit metadata on the show to read
The New Adventures of Jonny Quest (1986), since gracenote doesn't have a listing for it.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 16-48-11 Channels Browse TV Shows

Then you have a problem when you add additional episodes.
They're all importing under The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
even the ones in the The New Adventures of Jonny Quest folder.

Yah, it's messed up. :frowning_face:

glad its not just me.

Can we a developer look into it?

It gets worse when you realize that the grace note name your using thats just plain Jonny Quest conflicts with the original Jonny Quest that came out earlier and is actually a mislabel itself. its "THE NEW ADVENTURES ..." not just JQ

Its just 13 episodes ill do it by hand, but i cant not trigger the Gracenote TMDB loop when trying to get it into channels.

1 Like

This problem isn't new

Hopefully, this bug is sorted but...for now I would recommend using another player to import shows with similar names (Plex/JF/Emby).

Aman, a Channels Developer heart'ed the post so hopefully its being looked into.

1 Like

just adding multiple pokemon series to this list of examples. not showing up.

Seems like a high priority bug.

1 Like