Bug? - tuner selection for recording

Last night we had two shows scheduled to record during the same time period. We were also watching live one of those two shows on two separate TVs. I have a total of 6 tuners - 3 Connects.

Only one of the two shows recorded - the second, which was being watched live on two TVs did not get recorded.

The logs indicate that no tuner was available, however, I checked the tuner status on all 3 Connects and 3 tuners were available at the time.

Here’s a snippet of the logs:

2017/01/29 22:26:43 [DVR] Starting job 1485741600-ch5.1 Dateline NBC on ch=[5.1]
2017/01/29 22:26:43 [ERR] Failed to start stream on channel 5.1 via 1045C956: got http response code 503
2017/01/29 22:26:44 [DVR] Error running job 1485741600-ch5.1: open /Volumes/Channels-DVR/TV/Dateline NBC/2017-01-29-2226 Dateline NBC 2017-01-29 S25E16 Tom Brokaw The First 50 Years.mpg: no such file or directory

This sequence appears int he logs for the 90 minute run of the show.

Do all three connects have a lineup set?

The “no such file or directory” error is strange. Usually means disk error or out of space. Are other recordings happening fine since?

Yes, all three tuners have the lineups set and there is about 4TB of free space on the disk. Other recordings are working fine.

BTW - the disk error is referencing the file that would be had the recording been successful.

Yes the DVR basically failed to create the file so it could start saving the video data to it.

Does this directory exist? Are there other recordings inside it?

/Volumes/Channels-DVR/TV/ exists but not the sub-directory.

I am not a coder by any stretch of the imagination, but reading the logs I assumed that it could not write tot he file because there was nothing to write. From the logs I see it only trying to read from the one tuner and always receiving a 503 response. What I don’t understand is why it never tried any of the other 3 tuners that I confirmed were idle as this was happening.

The second tuner was used as expected. It prints “Starting recording” after the file is opened, but the open failed.

1485741600-ch5.1 was, in fact, busy. But, 3 others - 1 from one Connect and 2 from another - were free. Thse are the ones that it never attempted to try.

It did attempt to use them. There is no log message printed for each attempt.

I believe you but I am curious how you can be certain it attempted to use them if there is no log entry. I have located and corrected (I hope) a permissions issue so in the end it may be simply just that and nothing more.

Thanks for your help.

And, most importantly thanks again for a terrific “beta”!

I know because the code only attempt to open a file after it successfully connects to the tuner.

What was the permissions issue? Seems the DVR was unable to create new folders inside the TV directory for some reason. I wonder what caused the permissions to be incorrect.

This bug is fixed in the latest version v2017.01.30.2232. Permissions errors during recording jobs will be printed to the log.

I had initially installed the DVR on my Synology NAS. About 3 weeks ago I moved it off of the NAS and onto a Mac Mini. In doing so I left the recording directories on the NAS and mounted them to the Mini. The databases were copied to the Mini and everything worked fine.

Over the weekend I rebooted the Mini to install updates and when it came back up it reattached the NAS drive but as an incorrect user. Re-mounting with the correct user / permissions have corrected the issue. I still have to do a “reboot” test to make sure i comes back up ok.

In doing this I did find another very obscure problem with special characters in the file systems. The “:” is interpreted differently on the NAS vs the Mini. So, for example I have two “NCIS: Los Angeles” directories - one from running native on the NAS and one from running on the Mini with the NAS drive mounted. This is an edge case and a result of moving the DVR from system to system so no big deal in my opinion.