Bullseye

Now that Bullseye is the official OS for RPi, has anyone tried upgrading or running Channels on it? I've noticed apt updates have significantly dropped off the past week or two which is how I found out they've moved on from Buster. Just curious. Not sure I'm ready to move yet given they recommend starting from scratch rather than upgrading.

If you installed through the native installer, you won't notice any difference.

For RaspberryOS, aarch64/arm64 is still beta.

I installed Channels onto my existing RPi with 32-bit buster.

@scottuf, I'm on 32bit Buster as well. I'm waiting to upgrade to a supported 64bit variant. Plan to do a fresh OS install and import/restore. Done this twice with no issues. HDD to bigger HDD to now M.2 SSD. If Tmm1 gets a chance to add Argon fan speed control to the Official Channels Pi 64bit Image, I'll go with that; or I'll wait until 64bit Bullseye is out of Beta. I do have one of the newer Pi with the C01 CPU that I'll swap in for Channels to get the 1.8ghz speed bump.

I was thinking of waiting on 64bit too. I'm on a 2GB RPi4 overclocked to 2GHz with no issues, in a case with a fan. Can you install other stuff with the official image, or is it limited to just Channels? I have docker and homebridge and it's setup as a Time Machine drive as well.

@scottuf, the Official Image has a trimmed down OS to just support Channels DVR. That is why I moved to Buster so I can load fan speed control. I do have another Pi with Portainer, but after running into performance issues similar to this thread: Extremely high load when recording - #15 by adamandaj, I decided to keep Channels on it's own dedicated Pi. Few months with an M.2 SSD and performance has been fine. With Pi's being so low powered, I've stopped using my server for 24/7 applications and enjoying the power savings, especially the heat output. :wink:

The Channels Pi image is not using Raspberry Pi OS, but instead a slim Home Assistant OS.

Any new releases of Raspberry OS has no impact on the channels image.

1 Like

I’m not running channels in a docker, just the Pluto docker. Got my Pi just to run Channels, learned everything needed to get it up and running online (bookmarked everything in case I ever need to do it again :grin:). Probably do a few things a little differently next time. Guess I’ve talked myself into waiting for 64bit and rebuilding from scratch.

1 Like

Interesting, did not know that