Button Mapper with Harmony Remote & Nvidia Shield

You could sign up on the forum and vote on it (there's up and down arrows at the top right). Maybe that will help?

EDIT: Or even leave a comment saying you're having the same problem.

1 Like

Going to do that right now!

2 Likes

I've tried following these steps multiple times and can not get it work. Adding the tivo stream as a device to existing activity doesnt change the dvr button. After changing the Guide button, when pressing the guide button the remote says "You must use Harmony appto to pair the device".
I'm have Harmony elite using the android Harmony app to change the configuration.

Any ideas why I'm getting different results?

Roy

I don't know why this is happening, but can confirm that I had the same issue. I made significant changes to my setup (incorporating FLIRC and Channel Mapper) this weekend on all three Harmony devices connected to Shield devices. All three required me to repair the device to the Shield. In one instance, after repairing, making a change to a button triggered a pair request yet again. Very odd. But, repairing the hubs to the Shields fix it.

Thanks, I've also had the issue with needing to repair the shield when making changes. Re-pairing fixes those issues. However, Adding the tivo stream as a device and trying to map the guide button to the tivo media player doesn't work. I would assume it is complaining that I didn't pair the tivo stream 4k remote, which would make sense. However, it would seem others have gotten it to work.

Roy

You can try the Guide button on the Windows Computer profile

Make sure you enabled the accessibility setting too

1 Like

I saw the announcement today re:Apple TV... any chance that same functionality is coming to Android as well? That would certainly solve the problem with Harmony I think!

1 Like

Yes, coming soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I'm working with the Android team to add native support for colored button keys as well: https://android-review.googlesource.com/c/platform/frameworks/base/+/1388616

1 Like

Thank you!!

Please try the latest alpha (v8.10.2240) which should let you map F1-F4 to sections of the app and trigger those shortcuts via your Harmony.

You will need to make sure the accessibility option for the detector is enabled after installing the alpha.

1 Like

@radioboy any luck using F1-F4 on the alpha?

@tmm1 AH!!! I just saw this... getting caught up. I'll install the Alpha and see if it works!

1 Like

@tmm1 Can you tell me what "Device" I should have so that the Shield will respond to the Red, Yellow, Blue, Green? Should I still be testing that with with the "Tivo 4K Stream" as the device?

You'll want to use SHIELD + Windows Computer and map the colors to the F1-F4

OK thank you - I'm now experiencing the frequent issue where the Harmony thinks it's not connected to Shield... that's further complicating issues, but I'm continuing to troubleshoot.

I am having the same problem in my FireTV Cube when I map the buttons and I hit one of them it disconnects my Harmony Elite.

@tmm1 Holy cow! After days of fighting with my Harmony Elite to get it paired again with my Shield (finally, removing the Shield and adding it again, then rebuilding the Watch TV activity worked). The trick was to NOT pair the Shield with Harmony Keyboard until the Activity was setup. Then, I built out everything and was able to assign F1 through F4 to the DVR, Guide and Info keys (plus the Rec key) to get everything working perfectly!! Only suggestion I'd make is to make sure folks know they don't have to add a Windows Computer as the NVIDIA Shield device contains all the necessary F keys. Also, would be nice to know upfront that the color keys are actually F keys as well. I found that after many times trying to pair Windows Computer as a device before realizing I didn't even need to as in the description for each color key, it mentions its corresponding F key. Thank you so much for adding this functionality!!!!! It's fantastic!!

1 Like

Hmm I'm not seeing this. Which profile did you use for the shield?

@tmm1 I wonder if Harmony has updated their profile for the Shield! Once I deleted it as a device, I re-added it by searching "NVIDIA" as Manufacturer and "Shield Pro" as the Model. Once I did that, and re-created my "Watch TV" activity, while customizing buttons for the "Nvidia Game Console", as the Harmony calls it, I then had all the F1-F12 function keys as options!

One final step after that was all set up, I still had to add "Tivo Stream 4K" as a device just so I could then instruct the Harmony to use that device for the virtual number pad. For whatever reason, Harmony still doesn't see Shield has having that native ability. I had to choose the Tivo device as the device I use to "Change Channels" in set up.