Buttons don't work (Guide, colored buttons, etc.) - is this broken in the app?

So I've been using the direction keys and OK to choose and select most everything, including getting between my guides. I realized there are settings that show buttons attached to various functions such as Guide, PIP, etc, but when I press those then nothing happens. They're not assigned in some other button mapper so I don't know what's up.

The device is a Shield, but I saw the same behaviour on my Android TV. Any way to fix this?

What remote are you using?

To take full advantage of these extra features, coloured buttons, specific Guide/Live TV etc you obviously need a remote with more buttons than the standard Shield one. You can go Bluetooth, but on my shields I use Flircs connected to one of the USB ports and then have programmed the Flirc to a universal IR remote. That gives you huge flexibility on what exactly you want individual buttons to do.

Check here for the help pages

Remote Control

Shoot, sorry I didn't include that. I'm using a Harmony Ultimate remote. The buttons seem to work just fine most anywhere else, and I don't have those keys specially mapped in the Harmony app or button mapper.

I'll take a look at the remotes topic. I'm traveling the next two days, but hopefully this will help be identify the core issue.

I verified that I've got nothing conflicting in the Harmony app. I guess without a FLIRC the Shield wouldn't know a Guide code via BT, even if it was from some similar device like a Tivo Stream 4K with a Guide button on the remote?

Unless I’m completely missing what you are asking. Go into the harmony hub app, shield activity and assign the red, green, yellow, and blue buttons. You can choose the nvidia for the device and f1, f2, f3, f4 for the colored button. Then you can assign colors to actions from within the channels app.

I'd not known about the F1-F4 shortcuts, so thanks for that first of all. Beyond that, I was basically doing what you suggested, but when I select the colored buttons, the Guide button, etc. and then I try to pick from the Commands shown, there is no Guide, F1, F2, etc. It has mostly just the basic commands as you can see here:

Maybe because my Shield device isn't assigned as a game console?

I don’t think I did anything special when I added the shield to make it a “game console”. I see what you mean though.

Another sure fire way to get this working is to add a ghost window pc device to the activity and use that to assign the f keys. I have done this on my other shield. Just google how to add a windows pc to harmony activity. Then add that into the activity to add the buttons.

Thanks for the follow up. From the mobile app I could get the device as an Nvidia game console, but that just ended up adding some additional commands that go with the Shield controller buttons. I added a Windows PC and assigned the buttons, but when I try to trigger them it says I have to pair it in the app. In the mobile app it then shows no commands, so looks like I may need to grab a Windows media remote to teach the hub how to do the Guide and other commands. Logi is definitely frustrating with their inconsistency between Harmony mobile and desktop.

I have a FLIRC, but this is a Shield tube with no USB port, dang it.

It’s been many years since I added the windows pc but I think when you are creating the pc device and it asks to pair, you actually then pair it to the shield (remember this is a ghost pc, it doesn’t really exist. I can’t remember if the shield needs to be in pairing mode for this to connect. You don’t need any windows remote because the shield won’t recognize that.

I also believe you have to use the app to do this as it doesn’t work with the web and pc.

Here is a Link that will give you an idea of the process though they are using a real pc. Look about half way down.

I've done that before with the Harmony for some other scenarios, so I definitely get where you're going and that the PC doesn't need to be real. It probably does come down to finding the right device set up approach in Harmony to have it create the device with the commands as I've seen it do in the past. These are standard Windows Media Center guide, record, and other keys that don't normally need to be "learned", I know. Likely just another issue with the fracturing that's happened as Logitech has neglected the desktop app and introduced inconsistencies in the mobile app device set up.