Cable subscription and Channels

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, who is using a cable subscription with their HDHR and Channels app setup? I am considering going back to a basic cable subscription to get more channels. But I like my Channels DVR so much I would stick with it and use it as my main Cable setup box. Anyone here is using a cable subscription instead of an antenna? I know Channels was made for cord cutters but i’m still wondering.

Thanks!

@maddox and I both use HDHR PRIME, and about half of Channels users do as well.

What cable providers are available in your area? Some of them put DRM on everything which makes it incompatible with Channels.

Channels ends up being a really great solution if you can get a cheaper cable plan.

It’s better quality than streaming options like Sling, and its usually way more reliable. It’s also not limited by number of connections/clients. You can just do what you want.

Cable downsides usually end up being price and contracts and price hikes. But mostly it’s the hardware leases that cost so much. And with software on them that is painful!

If you can somehow avoid the first three, the lack of having to lease their hardware ends up saving a ton of money. Channels works fantastic with tons of channels and is a really great option if you want to keep cable.

You also have the option to get Channels DVR for $8 a month, which is a fraction of what a Cable provider’s DVR hardware lease is per month. And again, you get to do whatever you want with the recordings.

1 Like

I use channels with 2 HDHR Primes with Comcast Cablecards and I have 4 ATV. I find that it’s a great solution and it also doesn’t go against my Comcast Data Cap which I was having trouble staying under while using streaming services.

I use Channels with Comcast and 2 HDHomeRun Prime’s. The first CableCard is free, the second is $7.50. The only DRM Comcast puts on channels is for the premium channels like HBO/Showtime/Starz/etc.

Use both a prime and connect. Works well with Fios. Fox and FX are DRM’d but luckily both have apps. The only issue for me is BTN which you can airplay. Using it on 2 ATV4Ks and a 4th gen. Highly recommended.

I have a HDHR Extend… Would I need any other card? Or cable would just work straight up? I don’t know what is a Comcast cable card

I live in the French part of Canada, Quebec. My cable provider is Videotron. Do you know if they use DRM? I guess I could ask them.

To use Channels with cable you need a HDHR PRIME with a CableCARD. Unfortunately that only works in USA, because the FCC mandates that cable companies must allow customers to use their own hardware.

In Canada there is no such regulation, so only way to receive cable channels is via cable company hardware. Sorry :neutral_face:

I’ve been using HDHR Prime with Channels for a couple years or more on my Comcast service in the Atlanta area, and it works great. I just set up Channels DVR in the past week or so, and it’s been working so well, that I’ve already ordered a second HDHR Prime which will arrive this week. I have never paid for a Comcast cable box or DVR service. I’ve only ever had three of their tiny Digital Adaptor boxes you have to use now, since built in digital tuners in TVs aren’t able to decrypt the signal from Comcast. I don’t have any premium channels, so I’ve not run into any DRM issues yet. Not to highjack the topic, but does anyone know if the Comcast DRM is based on HDCP or is it something completely different?

Off topic but I’ve found BTN games on fox sports go app on Apple TV this year. Might work for you if they authorize that app :slightly_smiling_face:

The majority of my DVR recordings are network OTA shows so have found the sweet spot to be 2x Connects and 1x Prime. That way I don’t have to worry myself to much as to whether a device was left running chewing up a tuner.

I having been using SD homerun prime (3 tuners) with a cable card along with another Charter Spectrum tuning adapter for 4 years. I had been using Mythtv as the backend (recording, tuner mgmt) and Kodi as the frontend to watch Live TV and recorded material. I like to watch sports and will record for time shifting and Charter’s cable package is cost effective for me. In the last month, I have converted to Channels and Channels DVR and the speed with Apple TV 4k boxes along with IPADs and iphones with the same setup is incredible to me. I can even remotely watch Live and recorded content. I have a lot of channels that I can watch and record.

1 Like

From What I understand, I won’t be able to use cable with my HDHR Extend as providers in canada don’t allow us to use our own hardware.

I guess I’ll just upgrade my antenna and try to get more channels from the US that way. I’m 65 miles from a US Tower.

Works flawlessly with Verizon FIOS, a rented cable card, and HDHomerun Prime. Only channels like HBO don’t work due to DRM and that is OK as we use the HBO app on the Apple TV.

I have Xfinity here in DC and use HDHomerun Prime. Works great with a cable card and it is much cheaper than the fees that Comcast charges for their equipment.